Lake Travis 7/23-7-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YellowfinKunkfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We had a great time at Lake Travis this past week, finally home now, but kind of wish we could've stayed longer!

Started out our trip with a quick late afternoon dive at Windy Point Thursday night, Vis was only about 5-7 feet, temp was 84 Woo Hoo!! Enjoyed seeing the grottos in the fading ambient light, a little creepy at first, but very cool. Surfaced to an amazing sunset. Very pretty evening, with a great breeze. Stairs getting to the water were a bit tricky that night, since they were still working on them, but everyone at Windy Point was super helpful!!

Did two very nice dives on Friday, First dive temp was 82, vis was 5-6 feet. Not much different than the night before. Second dive, temp was the same, vis was a bit nicer on this dive, probably because we went a bit deeper. I'm really, really glad we went while the lake was down, we got to see a lot of things that are probably a lot harder to get to when the lake is up. Couldn't find any of the pink flamingos I saw last year though, Kory thinks I'm just making them up...

Finished off our diving with Lake Travis Scuba Saturday afternoon, I really can't say enough good things about Robert, his boat, and his crew!! It was great meeting downunderjen, and Ellen. They are awesome! I highly, highly recommend Lake Travis Scuba. We had two very nice, relaxed dives, at Oasis Wall, and Stearnes Island. I really enjoyed Oasis Wall, went down to about 60 feet for most of the dive, and saw some cool looking grottos and overhangs. Almost an hour long dive, temp was 79, vis was at least 10 feet down there, maybe more. Second dive at Stearnes was only about 35 feet, water temp 80 something or other, and very low vis, about 3 to 4 feet.

A very cool weekend. Camped at McKinney Falls state park, which for our fellow RV divers, is only about 35 minutes from Windy Point, and a very easy drive. Very nice park! There were no "Falls" due to the drought, but still very nice. Had some fabulous barbecue at The County Line, (I walked out in pain) sooooooo good. We also discovered a new camping tip, dry ice works very well for camping in hot weather. However; it will freeze your wine solid! After it thaws out though, it's still good!!:D

Robert, if you find my flip flops on your boat, throw them over at Stearnes Island, it'll be fun to try and find them next time we go out!!

Rhonda

Flip Flops are on the boat. I can mail them to you, hold them, or donate them for treasure hunting at Starnes.

So glad you had a good time diving from shore and the boat. The crew appreciates the kind words, they work hard to make sure everyone has a fun time.

Best part of the charter was the brownies....we won't share the secret ingredient but needless to say they are yummie.

Looking forward to seeing you next time you are in town, bring more brownies.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Last edited:
Great Sunday morning boat dive today at Oasis Wall and the Shaker Plant. Robert, thanks for driving and Jen for DM'ing. Had two great dives.

A very cool weekend. Camped at McKinney Falls state park

D'oh! Wish we would have known you were here. We've been at McKinney Falls since last week. Glad you guys had fun!

I was out on the Sat AM boat. Had the momentary post-Coz confusion about not being able to see through the water - but got it under control and really enjoyed the Oasis Wall. Starnes Island really rocked though - scored me some new sunglasses. And it's Super Downunderjen - thanks to the new towel-cape she picked up on our dive. Stayed within sight of the vertical viz and just had a great dive.

Thanks again to Robert & crew for a fantastic dive day!! :) And special thanks to Ellen for shuttling me (and my gear) all the way to the entrance of WPP so I didnt have to schlep!

Great dive/s report....glad all was fun and safe! Robert does a super job on this craft. :)

I moved out of state, so I'm a little out of the loop, but I hear that Travis is WICKED low. How bad is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom