Lake Texoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody have an underwater map of Lake Texoma? I recently bought some regs from a guy and he was telling me that his buddies could see barracks of some kind when they were out fishing near the dam. Is that true, or was he feeding me a line?

I've been out there a bunch of times and I've never seen " Barack " on the bottom of Lake Texoma. :D

Is that a barack? or a barack (obama) ? :confused:

Unless they have some sort of super-human x-ray vision, they would have to be looking through about 80 ft of water. I've got a reprint map of the texoma area before they built the dam, and there wasn't any towns near where the dam was built. There is only about 6 to 10 feet of vis on good days, so I have no idea what they could be seeing, unless they took a cooler with them.:D

Kory

Haha, no i do not mean Barack, you crazy fools!

The guy told me that the people that built the lake were housed in barrracks near the dam, an that they could see them on a clear day, but i guess he was just BS'ing me. Grrr, whatever, I still got a good reg for cheap out of it.

Kory, You wouldn't happen to have that map on PDF would you? All the maps me and my buddies have looked at are too recent to have any bottom contours or structures for the lake.

Maybe you should make sure and clean those regs really good... Wonder what they may have been breathing when they saw the barack...

psiborg,
Check this link out:
Oklahoma Fishing Maps from Omni Resources.

Your map of interest (the ones I recommend anyway) is the last one listed on the page. It is published by A.I.D. Associates. You can order through this web site (I do). I won't claim these maps are perfect; but they are pretty good about listing bathymetric (is that a word?) contours and accurately depicting underwater structures.

The Fishing Hot Spots maps, also located on this web page, are real good about depicting submerged roadways. Take your pick. I have used both. And yes, I know these are "fishing" maps. Have you ever seen anyone selling a commercial quality scuba map? Besides, fishermen and divers look for the same types of stuff anyways, probably for different reasons.

I think the fellow was just pulling your leg on that one.

All kidding aside ( is that possible ?? ) Lets say most kidding instead :wink:

Texoma on the Texas side ( S.E. end of the lake near the Dam ) is not that bad a place to dive if you have the lure of adventure.
It's dark but near some of the shoreline it is really dark and low Vis. too so that makes things even beter. You can find 70+ feet in places sometimes ( usually just 67 )
There are rocks to look at and there are a bunch of fish.
Kitting up from a certain Billionaire's compound on that part of the lake, makes for an interesting day.

I've not seen any submerged buildings anywhere on the S.E. side of the lake but I'm sure they must have flooded some structures somewhere. If they are there then that is a place the fish will be for sure ! Bring your spear gun and have some fun ! Of course...It would also be a good place to take a boat prop to the head and get hooked and hung up with lost line too.

Hell... there may be buildings down there near the dam. ( I doubt it though)

There 'may' be structures of buildings in many Texas lakes.....just not a very good chance of finding anything identifiable after all these years of water erosion. Your better off coming across an old, say VW Bug.

Back
Top Bottom