Lake Murray On Sunday 3/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchapman3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My dive buddy and I are headed back to Lake Murray on Sunday 3/4; the plan is to be up there around 11:30, and try for a couple of casual dives. If anyone is interested and isn't 'fear'd of the 45 degree water, drop me a note.

I would join you but have 'other' schd. plans for Sunday afternoon. Have fun and enjoy!!

Trip report please! :wink:

Well, I'm sure John will concur, today was a great day of diving. The first dive started out great without any problems. John's dive flag setup worked perfectly. 50 degree water temp, up from 45 degrees last weekend. Vis hadn't improved much, as some areas were 2 feet or so, up to a max of about 8 or 10 feet. But as a wise fellow scuba board member once said, "Great Visibility is Over Rated When you see where you are going the road comes to an end."

We followed our dive plan perfectly. Made our turns where we intended, and ended up within feet of our entry point when we ended the dive. John thought I was an underwater nav god. Unfortunately, I'm not to proud to admit, there was a great deal of luck involved. Something very apparent on dive number 2, when I'm sure we were diving over some magnetic aberation in the earths crust. There just wasn't any way we were heading East when I'm sure we were heading South.

It was a fantastic day and I'm pooped. I'm going to bed early.....:sleeping:

Kunk35:
Well, I'm sure John will concur, today was a great day of diving. The first dive started out great without any problems. John's dive flag setup worked perfectly. 50 degree water temp, up from 45 degrees last weekend. Vis hadn't improved much, as some areas were 2 feet or so, up to a max of about 8 or 10 feet. But as a wise fellow scuba board member once said, "Great Visibility is Over Rated When you see where you are going the road comes to an end."

We followed our dive plan perfectly. Made our turns where we intended, and ended up within feet of our entry point when we ended the dive. John thought I was an underwater nav god. Unfortunately, I'm not to proud to admit, there was a great deal of luck involved. Something very apparent on dive number 2, when I'm sure we were diving over some magnetic aberation in the earths crust. There just wasn't any way we were heading East when I'm sure we were heading South.

It was a fantastic day and I'm pooped. I'm going to bed early.....:sleeping:

AWESOME...nothing better than some good ol diving!!!!

That's the skinny; and I DID think Kory was a Nav god until he got us lost on the 2nd dive... ;-)...s'ok...I was lost too. Vis dropped considerably below 50'.

My dive computer logged water temps between 49.3 and 50.4 (a tiny improvement over the 45.7/49.3 the previous week.). Winds were very light when we arrived at 1200 and stayed that way for the duration of the day. (I had to check and make sure we were in Okiehoma.). You can see the surface conditions from the pic's below. We met a couple of divers from Norman that were in earlier and recorded water temps at 48 for mid-morning dives.

Vis at the in the proximity of the center fishing bouy may be indefinately poor following my hard landing into the SOFT muck at 58'...<cough><cough>.

Somehow...when we dropped the anchor on our dive flag, we managed to drop it 3" off of a dive platform out there...who knew. There are several small clothesline style lines coming off of it, heading in several directions to some of the curiosities around it; so if you find it, watchout for them, they blend into the merk nicely (dangerously?).

What's the general rule on things like that...would I be out of bounds replacing them with some heavier 5/8" nylon/cotton cable? Obviously the platform belongs to someone else, and someone made an effort to sink interesting structures out there...so perhaps it's a beware and leave alone thing. Heavier line would be easier to see, but harder to cut if you got tangled... ???

Frank, I know now why you call it the Amusement Park... lot's of goodies down there...

Descending...
descend.jpg

Don't let 50 degree temps keep you on the couch...the water is waiting...
TheWaterIsWaiting.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom