Lake Murray Abyssal Plain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saturday Surface Interval Scuba had a nice outing up at Lake Murray Oklahoma. About 17 folks showed up.
Having been there before with a group and also done solo dives during the Winter last year I was happy to go back and see the place again. Visibility was about as I expected at about 10 ft sometimes. The fish are "interested" in divers and like to get close. Near the shore at Marrietta Landing there are a number of underwater attractions. There are a couple of platforms and a few boats and a motorcycle all connected by ropes. If you can find one you will have no problem locating all of them.
Most are at 20-25 feet deep. Froglady and John R and I made a survey of the shoreline heading out and back West of Marretta Landing. The underwater scene is filled with pretty good sized boulders We saved a bit of air to look at the boats and stuff when we got back. While near one of the platforms we picked up TexDiveGuy and he and I finished off 500 lbs. of breathing gas looking at the boats.
Later that afternoon TexDiveGuy , John R and I decided to go look for the Plane that was rumored to located off shore near some of the bouys about 200yds. out. We did a surface swim to the first bouy and dropped the weight for the dive flag. The rope went tight without finding a bottom so I tied it off to the bouy chain and down we went. It really got dark as we went down. All of us turned on our lights and still, down we went. We passed through a bit of a thermocline. When you looked up you could see some light but not much any other time really. We saw the bottom at at about 60 feet deep. I was thinking then that we had found the plane... or rather, "The Abyssal Plain" :D It was freaking crazy dark. We went North along the rolling mud bottom. Out of nowhere this wall came into view. We went left and that brought us into more light and a shallower depth between 30 and 40 feet. We followed it for a really long time. The big boulders and cliffs just rolled along. The Vis. was limited but no worse then the first dive. We surfaced to get an idea of where we were only to find we were way out in the middle of the lake. It was kinda funny. We figured that we had been following the old creek channel.
We took a heading on our dive flag and made our way back following the bottom near 30 ft and passing over the deeper areas we had dropped down into at the start of the dive.
The water was about 70-75F and nice all day. The Sun was shining with practically no wind.
I'm not sure if there really is a Plane out there but I'm up for going out and looking for it again :14: I'll have to go back there again soon and do a Winter dive.

Thanks to Surface Interval Scuba for putting on the event, it was fun.

Frank... great report and fun dive,,,,we will have to do it again!

texdiveguy:
Frank... great report and fun dive,,,,we will have to do it again!

:gr1: They say that Amelia Airhead actually crashed landed up there in that lake!
Thats pretty cool ! :D We simply have to go look some more. I met a guy up there once that said he "found Jesus" ...
Man , I bet that dude is really rich now :wink:

There is just no telling what somebody might find at the bottom of that lake.

As soon as I find the extention for my Aluminum Magnet, get it re-wired and coated with thick layer of water resistant Frequency Grease We should be ready to conduct a real search for that mysterious Aircraft lurking off the shoreline near Marrietta Landing. :alien_2:

New flashlight batteries would be a groove too ! :14:

Timeliner:
:gr1: They say that Amelia Airhead actually crashed landed up there in that lake!
Thats pretty cool ! :D We simply have to go look some more. I met a guy up there once that said he "found Jesus" ...
Man , I bet that dude is really rich now :wink:

There is just no telling what somebody might find at the bottom of that lake.

As soon as I find the extention for my Aluminum Magnet, get it re-wired and coated with thick layer of water resistant Frequency Grease We should be ready to conduct a real search for that mysterious Aircraft lurking off the shoreline near Marrietta Landing. :alien_2:

New flashlight batteries would be a groove too ! :14:

I am game for a hunt in the future.....we can use my DiveYak and that magno-thingy of ours,,,,,I bet we find more than one plane,,,,,and JESUS would be awsome!!

Frank, I think you should take your Crawdad Sucker-Upper with you, too... And a little Bootie-Stank remover. Remember the little people when you get rich off these ideas someday, okay? :wink:

Foo

Back
Top Bottom