Lake lanier dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawlings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I met my good buddy Tony to day at Lower Overlook for a dive . Met up at 2:OO PM We waled down to were ewe would inter the water (Tony has never dived this sight only WBP )I gave him a quick lay out of the gereal area and what to look for . we went back to the cares and geared up at one of the picnic tables so we would not have so far to walk to the water. The weather man can't predict the weather vary well . It was suposed to rian (90%chance ) but we had clear skys 78* to 79* air temp. We put our Dry suits on at the VARY LAST MINUTE . d*m it was hotr in the suits . the long hike was a real bear in all the gear and the temp. man the water felt good . we found the line and came to the end of the first stretch of line i could not find where it picked up but we did find the big pile of barrels we then just fallowed the ledge to some were nere the rubble by the dam we were at 80" at this point . I think I got a little narced I looked at my compuss and I just stared at it ,I could not figure what it said wow I stared to go deeper then said to myself this is not the way and tured to fallow the lidge up to a sallower depth The I got my head clear and got on the compuss heading . Tony said I looked a little confused We found 3 rods and reals I broght one that looked good to me up. And it was in good shape It was a great dive temp at 80' was 48* at the surface water was 74* at 40' was 56* . We got out of the water 10 minutes before the ranger was diving through and broadcasting that the park was closing at 5:00 pm perfect timing

Thanks for the report; glad you found the barrels, where were they in reference to the first line? Also what was vis like?

Thanks for the report; glad you found the barrels, where were they in reference to the first line? Also what was vis like?

They are located not to far from the end of the first line . I came to the end of the line and was not sure where the line picked up at so I swam strait W. for about 15 yards or so went a little to the left there looked to be a little shelf and then the pile of barrels. looks like there is a cement mixer among the barrels. we then swam W. maybe a little N Because we went down to 72' then fallowed a ledge and came to what I think was the base of the dam we where at 80' there. where do's the line pick back up at that Leeds over to the dozer cage ? and where is the line tied off at to go to the dock? Th viz was ok down past 10' ,I am guessing 15' to 20'. when the sun cam out from a cloud the area would really light up ,you could see real well

They are located not to far from the end of the first line . I came to the end of the line and was not sure where the line picked up at so I swam strait W. for about 15 yards or so went a little to the left there looked to be a little shelf and then the pile of barrels. looks like there is a cement mixer among the barrels. we then swam W. maybe a little N Because we went down to 72' then fallowed a ledge and came to what I think was the base of the dam we where at 80' there. where do's the line pick back up at that Leeds over to the dozer cage ? and where is the line tied off at to go to the dock? Th viz was ok down past 10' ,I am guessing 15' to 20'. when the sun cam out from a cloud the area would really light up ,you could see real well

When you reach the end of the first line take a left and follow the mounds of asphalt until it picks back up. Or you can follow the edge of the bowl to the left.

Interesting that the barrels are that close; honestly I found them last summer in June and at that time this whole area wasn't all mapped out.

Tony and my myself did a dive today at Lower overlook this morning . The air temp when we arrived was 57*@ 8:00am
My wife came along to go fishing she had been buging me about going fishing for a while so I said come along when I go diving. she said great idea.
dive went pritty good i had some boyuncy problems w/ my dry suit I just did not feel comfortable and the shoulder vent valve just vented really slow . but other than that it was a great dive max depth =63.7' av erage depth was about 45' surface temp was 65*, at depth temp was 49* 46 minute bottum time
the water line is way up since the last time I was there.

Tony and my myself did a dive today at Lower overlook this morning . The air temp when we arrived was 57*@ 8:00am
My wife came along to go fishing she had been buging me about going fishing for a while so I said come along when I go diving. she said great idea.
dive went pritty good i had some boyuncy problems w/ my dry suit I just did not feel comfortable and the shoulder vent valve just vented really slow . but other than that it was a great dive max depth =63.7' av erage depth was about 45' surface temp was 65*, at depth temp was 49* 46 minute bottum time
the water line is way up since the last time I was there.

Did your wife catch any fish, if so what type? You should have given me a call and I would have come diving with you guys. What was vis like?

Did your wife catch any fish, if so what type? You should have given me a call and I would have come diving with you guys. What was vis like?
NO SHE DID NOT THERE WAS SOME KIDS AND ADULTS THROWING ROCK SHE WAS PISSED
The viz was above 30' 12' below that it was closer to 20'I am sorry I didn't think to call you Don't you and Clif prifur to dive the afternoon? I will remember to call you next time . I may be able to dive next sunday. The weekend of the 28 and 29 Tony and me are thinking of going to Jocassee.

Nice diving with you Ken! That's a great site to dive with some scuba mountain climbing thrown in the mix. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom