Lake Jocassee,SC, Diver's Ramp experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys
I dove Lake Jocassee, SC back in 2011 at the divers ramp for the first time. I did a short dive in my drysuit. It was on May 20th, my wedding anniversary. Reached a max depth of 65ft. I didn't get a chance to explore the place much depth wise. I understand they have done some upgrades to the area since then.
I'm wanting to get back over there again maybe by early Oct. with my 7mm wet suit and get another dive in before the weather gets colder later in the Fall.
I may probably get around to finally doing my AOW checkout dives there later next Spring, along with getting my official dry suit certification done as well. I can't take off anymore vacation time and expenses with my vacation time and funds spent for this year.
I am self taught with my Pinnacle EVO 2 drysuit I bought back in 2008. Need to make it official with an instructor's nod to make sure I'm doing it right. Have never had any accident or near accident with this suit, I dive it very conservatively.
What kind of depths and sights could I expect to see near or around the ramp where I would get in to start my dive?

Also anyone done their AOW, either PADI or SDI there in the Spring or early summer with Bill at the dive shop?

What was it like to do your AOW checkout dives there at that time of the year?

Thanks!

why do you feel the need to have a cert card for your drysuit? if you are comfortable diving it, why not just keep diving it?

Can't say I've done AOW there, but then again, I never did AOW....

@victorzamora and I were out there a few weeks ago prepping for a cave trip so we had scooters which was nice to get to everything. Some interesting stuff is out there, but really it's just a good place to train and do gear configuration checks and what not. We got to 123 feet in some submerged forest which was neat, but cold. Other than that, training platforms, and a couple small sunken boats is about it unfortunately. There may be a more "littered" area elsewhere in the lake, but I'm not familiar enough with it. Certainly nothing like the Quarries in NC

My wife and I plan to do some drysuit practice there next month. We have been there a few times to practice various skills.

What was it like to do your AOW checkout dives there at that time of the year?

Spring is chilly to me, but I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to water temps. You'll be fine in a drysuit with appropriate undergarments, though. The tricks to diving a drysuit are as follows: add gas when tight, dump gas when not. If you've never had an issue and you can do ascents and descents while (mostly) horizontal....I don't really see much need for the card. I think many (most) would agree.

As for what's at the ramp: Get in the water, follow the ramp to the end. Just off the ramp, there's a line. Follow it. You'll get to a couple of platforms (GREAT for training), a trampoline frame, a couple small boats, a treasure chest, a fake graveyard, and a forest "at depth" (>100ft). I was told there's an airplane wing down there but haven't seen it. Definitely bring a flashlight or two.

Diving off the boat is cheap and can be quite a bit more fun than the boat ramp. If you haven't yet, check out the "Amazing Divers of Lake Jocassee" spacebook page.

I have diving the ramp over several years but not nearly as much as I would like. Long drive and all that. So here goes. It is easier to kit up if you have a truck because there are not kit up benches. You can take the ramp to the end and follow the line that will take you to a training platform and then to another platform but deeper. There is a line that takes you to the trampoline frame. If it is still there, there is another line that takes you even deeper to the wing off to the left after you cross over a fallen tree. Don't get too close to the bottom...it is red mud.
For an alternate plan, go the end of the ramp on the left and take a 90 degree left turn. You will see a small boat. Keep going and you will see the forest. Enter the forest at your own risk and with damn good awareness and training is strongly suggested. Don't take a scooter in there! Trust me on this one. I, as well as others have ran lines in there and several of us are mapping this area. My plan was to start a line, with arrows pointing toward the nearest exit, that will take you to nearly 200 FFW and come out near the wing. Lake Jocassee is a hit or miss dive at depth due to vis. When I say depth, I am talking about deeper than 100 FFW. I feel that a dry suit is a must when diving deep but I have done it with a semi dry suit with hood and beefed up gloves. If you dive the forest to even a rather short distance you more than likely will be outside the dive containment area. Also going up might be a problem due to the tree canopy. Now for an additional cool dive, go toward the forest and instead of entering the forest just keep it to your right side and follow it around...kinda cool. I am looking forward to diving the ramp very soon so if you want some help I might be interested. So that is my input. Please have fun and dive safe. It is an altitude dive so keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom