Lake Huron (Port Sanilac, MI) Memorial Day weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who’s up to dive Lake Huron Memorial Day weekend? May 25 and May 26. Saturday pm and Sunday am charters. Boat holds 16, but we only need 4 for the boat to go out. Wrecks are the Regina, Mary Alice B and North Star (80-100ft) out of Port Sanilac, MI. $125/diver per charter. Book online at Go-Between - Double Action Dive Charters

Pic is the Mary Alice B.
PICT0070.JPG

You going? I got Mike’s/ Shawn’s e-mail myself today and was debating...

Damn right I'm going. I posted this, as well as on my personal FB page and that of the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew because I was booked to do this last Memorial Day weekend and there weren't enough people booked for the boat to run. I want to dive these wrecks, so I'm putting in a bit of effort to make sure there are at least 3 more divers on the boat!

I was the first one booked for these two charters and so I got to choose the wrecks. What email?

Hi Marie- Did the boat fill up? I may be interested!

Charters still have seats left! Go and book

This morning’s charter (which buddy and I weren’t scheduled on) was cancelled. We got into Sanilac at 2 am eastern time. Even with getting out of work at 3pm, it took me 1:30 to get down to the south side of Chicago to pick up buddy. Then multiple accidents on I-90 forced us to take US 41 into Indiana to pick up I-90 east of the accidents.

Waiting to hear if this afternoon’s charter is a go. I just went out to get coffee and stopped by the harbor. Found the dive boat and walked around a bit. Water is somewhat choppy in the harbor. There’s a good breeze at times, but it’s sunny for the time being. Lake Huron beyond the breakwater looks bouncy! :wink: Marine forecast shows 3-5ft waves more than 5 miles off shore. At least one of the wrecks we were going to dive today (Regina) is 7 miles out. T’storms forecast for later.

I can really recommend the Last Chance Motel in Sanilac. 4 room mom and pop operation run by a couple who has had it for 30+ years. A room with 2 beds is only $58/night! Old school place where you have to mail a check for first night’s deposit. No website, only a Facebook page. You can use a credit card to pay once you’re there. Very clean. Five minutes from the harbor.

Conditions were much better today. Very low waves, sunny, cool. Only did the first dive of the morning charter as I didn't sleep well last night. Better safe than sorry.

Mary Alice B
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0008.JPG

Regina
PICT0046.JPG
PICT0051.JPG

North Star

PICT0068.JPG

PICT0069.JPG
PICT0071.JPG

PICT0072.JPG

This last is of the North Star's stern and is my favorite pic of the whole trip.

People always ask what fish we saw. There were several large burbot or lawyer fish, in addition to the usual gobies.

Happy you got out. My boat is in at Port Sanilac also. We will be going out next weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom