Lake George, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear47

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has dove in lake George in upstate New York and if there are any dives up there. I know the water is very clear for an north east lake.

I was wondering if any one has dove in lake George in upstate New York and if there are any dives up there. I know the water is very clear for an north east lake.

Yes, My son and I had two great dives last summer in Lake George: One on the Radeaux (Land Tortoise), which s a 250 year old British War Ship, and the other dive was like an UW science lab & navigation course. We also snorkeled off diamond point for Herkamer Diamonds (quartz crystals).

About 15 yrs ago I did several dives over a long weekend with a group of buddies for Herkimer Diamonds, Marble slabs and some other dives. Both trips were a lot of fun.

I do 40 to 50 dives a year on Lake George. Shore access for diving is somewhat limited but if you have a boat or are able to afford a charter then there are no limits.

It is a great lake to dive and there is a ton of history to the lake and the surrounding area. Vis is much better than Lake Champlain and other northern lakes.

The lake is about 32 miles long and there are numerous bays and islands and many places to drop an anchor and dive.

I made 7 trips to Lake George last year. The historical wrecks are really interesting and there is pretty good diving no matter where you go. We have a raft/outboard, do day trips and overnights. Always looking for company.

Best diving is in the northern basin of the lake. Vis is consistently better than the southern. Most of the historical wrecks are in the southern basin tho. I've done some good bottle hunting in the north. Look around the islands for the best results.
As previously stated there are only a few places for shore access.

I knoe scuba ny in yonkers was running a trip in Feb to go ice diving.

I'm sure DiveNY will be up there this summer. At least I will..

Back
Top Bottom