Lake diving in Arizona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonyc

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I are newly certified divers and want to find an economical way to get underwater often to build our skills before our next big trip. We really can't afford to go to California on a monthly basis, and I'm obsessing soo badly about scuba that I feel landlocked since I haven't been in the water for two weeks. I notice a lot of people in the forum are from Arizona. We were wondering if there are any decent spots where we can access by ourselves just for practice. We live in Anthem. We found a fairly quiet cove at Lake PLeasant and are thinking about trying it out this Thursday 9/25. I have to admit although I'm not worried about hazardous marine life, I am worried about fisherman with large hooks and speeding jetski's.

Thanks in advance,
Tony C.

Hi,

If you live in Anthem, Lake Pleasant is your best bet. You can shore dive off Vista Point by the North Boat ramp or there are other spots by "Dirty Shirt" cove that are easy shore entries. In both areas I believe it is a no wake zone for boats. Another option is to contact www.azdiveboats.com. They take people out on a nice boat at Lake Pleasant. They know the good spots and it is pretty cheap.

I have also dove at Lake Saguaro from Butcher Jones Beach. Vis is not the best from there but it is a no boating zone up to the buoys. THere are other spots at Saguaro that I have heard are much better but I haven't dove them.

Both lakes are what I would call low vis. I haven't had any problems with fishing line but it is there. You are supposed to have a dive float or flag also.....I have to get one for this weekend. We kept forgetting it and have gotten lucky. I think you are supposed to have one or there is a fine if caught.

Take Care
Karen

I've never been diving in the lakes around Phoenix, but have always wanted to try it. Maybe we can arrange a Scubaboard gathering/dive sometime.

Does anyone know what the water temp is? I'm pretty sure it is colder that my 1.5mm wetsuit will tolerate!

Two weeks ago it was 86 or 81 degrees...can't remember exactly above 40ft. In the past, I have experienced some pretty good thermoclines at different depths...50ft and sometimes at 25ft...where it dropped to 58 degrees.

Some of the people that we have been diving with have not been wearing any type of exposure suit so I guess a 1.5mm would work......just depends on your cold tolerence. I have been wearing a 3mm , but I am a wimp and always wear a hood...but that is just me.

Karen

If it's in the 80s I can get by with just a lycra, but that 58 is rapidly approaching COLD! That might justify a full 7mm.

Does anyone know anything about Boulder Canyon at Canyon Lake? It is an area that is off-limits to power boats (row boats are OK) and used for swimming. There might not be much to look at, but I imagine there is plenty of treasure to find that the swimmers have dropped. At least you won't get run over by jetskis and boats!

Hey Zonies -

I will keep an eye on the board for any AZ get togethers. I am in Chandler and newly certified. We have been driving over to San Diego for all of our diving so far. Anyhow, remember that ALL of the Arizona lakes are ABOVE 1000'. Most people don't realize that when diving in Arizona. Make your dive adjustments accordingly. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Don

I will have to remember that one. . .

If you "zonies" do decide to do some get togethers, be sure to post them. I am not from AZ, but my sister lives in Tempe, and she is always pestering me to come out to visit her. With the super cheap Southwest fares it would be easy to bop down to PHX for a weekend to visit and dive.

Wristshot

If anyone wants to hit that dive boat on lake Pleasant (or needs a buddy to dive anywhere including a road trip to CA) just to get under the water and explore, let me know. You can Email me at acarano@qwest.net. I'm newly certified but obsessed about getting underwater. Just got my reg today and now all I need is a tank and weights. I was set on going with my wife this weekend to lake pleasant, but she has a cold and probably not a good idea for her.

and Karen.... are you from SSI?? I think I have met you before, I was in Bill's class.

ALSO..... Does anyone know much about the bus and helicopter that is supposedly sunk in Saguaro lake???

Tony C.=-)

Add me to the list of Arizona divers. I have never done any fresh water stuff, but will try just about anything once. Who knows, maybe when it rains, we can all go for a nice drift dive in the wash!!!

Hi Tony,
Another guy "Bluespace" and myself dive the local lakes quite a bit, usually a Saturday morning two tank dive at Saguaro lake. We have been getting in the occasional mid-week trip on the diver down 2 @ lake pleasant. The midweek captain is away for a few weeks getting his 500 ton captain's license, but when he gets back I'm sure we'll be headin out. A scubaboard dive outing sounds like alot of fun, keep me posted if anyone is gonna plan something.

talk to ya
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom