Lake Baikal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone been there? If so what is it like. I'm thinking about making the trip there next summer, 2003. Also if you know anything about diving in Mongolia then I'm interested.:wink:

I know plenty of people who have been there...no one to dive, but still.

I can't tell you exactly what diving Baikal is like, but I can tell you what Siberia is like...I lived and worked in Russia for 5+ years.

My first question would be whether you are doing this alone as an individual or with a group/charter that knows its way around Siberia...if not the latter, I would be hesitant.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask, or PM if that is more convenient.

Matt

P.S. - And if you need a translator and are willing to pay my way then I think this trip is a very good idea... :wink:

It sounds like it is not to easy to arrange diving there. I was going to do it individually because I am in china now and famous Baikal would be a cool place to visit and add to my diving experiences.
Russian is not a language that I can manage but I am too poor to fund your kind offer. I have a Russian dive instructor friend that I have been trying to email but without success so far.
How about Vladivostok? Must be a better bet for diving? Do you know anything about it?

:)

...........who've dived Baikal and I've dived the Nationasl Marine Park south of Vladivostok on the Bay of Peter the Great.

I'd love to go back and dive Baikal.

Baikal is more like the ocean than a lake. It is fresh water (1/5 the worlds total unfrozen fresh water), but it is home to critters we normally associate with the ocean, such as seals, sponges, etc. It is cold, so bring a dry suit (although most of the Russians dive it wet).

My trip to dive in the Soviet Union (OK, it was awhile ago) was a wonderful experience. The diving wasn't spectacular, but I enjoyed it. The Russian people are very friendly and will make your trip memorable. I hooked up with the Neptune Dive Club in Novosibirsk/Academgoradok. They planned everything for our trip.

Let us know what you end up doing.

I can probably hook you up with a translator in Novosibirsk.

That sure sounds like an interesting dive, Walter. Come to think of it I remember reading about the freshwater seals in Lk. Baikal before. I often saw freshwater sponge when river diving on Vancouver Island.
I'll have to do some more web searches on Baikal and Vladivostok. But I'll have to go wet because I don't have a drysuit yet. That is on my wishlist.:rolleyes:

After reviewing information online, I found out that a algal bloom ocurs in late summer thus diminishing the reputedly great vz in Lk. Baikal. So it looks like Vladivostok is my best option. It seems Vlad also has great viz according to what I have read online. Now I'm just wondering about ease of getting a visa.:rolleyes:

diverkim once bubbled...
Now I'm just wondering about ease of getting a visa

I've probably done this close to a dozen times now...it's not that bad.

There are basically two ways that you can go about it...I've only done one but I know that both work.

1) You can go directly to the nearest Russian embassy and apply directly for a tourist visa. I know people who have done this in Washington, in Prague, and in Helsinki w/o problems, though I have never done this myself personally. This may or may not be a huge inconvenience - you'll please pardon my lack of knowledge of Chinese geography, but I don't know how far or accessible someplace like Beijing is.

2) I have always used a visa processing service. This is basically a business that takes your information and makes the application for you and then sends it back to you. You pay a small premium (around 100 USD total), but you don't have to deal with the embassy which can sometimes be less than fun, and in my experience, the processing time is just faster...

All that having been said, getting a simple, plain vanilla tourist visa into Russia is not hard...in fact, now that I think of it, I have never heard of someone being turned down for one.

One last piece of advice...while getting the visa is not particularly hard, it can be a time-consuming process. I would start the process at least a couple months before you're planned departure date.

A simple search on google will give you an idea of what kinds of visa processing services are out there: take a look

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Matt

Also if you know anything about diving in Mongolia then I'm interested.

Hi Diverkim,
Glad to hear that you are interested in Mongolia, which is my country. The country is beautiful, but land-locked, as you might already know. Though, there are several freshwater lakes that should be good for diving.

As for diving clubs, I haven't heard of any. I am afraid that there might not be one. But if you are a professional diver, perhaps you could dive by yourself, provided that you have your own gear.

I, myself, am an amateur diver. Tried diving in Japan and Italy and LOVED it.

If you would like to ask about Mongolia and lakes, please feel free to write me.

SaS

There is a good article on Baikal in the December issue of Sport Diving (Australian magazine)

LAKE BAIKAL ICE DIVING, February 24-28, 2005 (exact dates TBC)

SinoScuba is exceptionally pleased not just to be able to
offer our second annual ice diving program, but a trip
to perhaps THE top ice diving destination in the
world, Lake Baikal in Siberia. The deepest freshwater
body in the world, the lake may hold as much as 20
percent of the planet's freshwater, and is home to
numerous indigenous species, including lake seals.

We will travel to Irkutsk, Siberia's largest city,
then drive to our hotel near the lake shore. On diving
days, we will drive out on the ice to our dive site
and make unlimited dives underneath the thick ice.
This will be an unforgettable and spectacular
experience for even the most experienced diver.

Along with the ice diving, Lake Baikal sits at over
1500 meters of elevation, and as such, altitude diving
techniques will be employed.

Our package includes transfer to and from Irkutsk
airport or train station, four nights' accommodation,
three meals per day, three days' unlimited ice diving
with tanks and weights, and transportation to and from
the dive site, and a SinoScuba t-shirt, all for
US$600. Not included: transportation to and from
embarkation city to Irkutsk; drysuit rental ($50 for
three days); Ice, Drysuit, and Altitude Diver
Specialty courses (optional); gratuities for
divemasters.

Booking deadline is December 31, 2004, and a 50
percent deposit is required. Full payment will be due
30 days prior to departure. SinoScuba is happy to
assist with booking of air and train tickets for this
trip. Please call Steven at 1369 302 8913 or e-mail
steven@sinoscuba.com to make your reservation!

Back
Top Bottom