Lake Amistad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is, but that would be off limits to the students in these classes. Now the instructors and DM, who are cave trained might check it out since we have the gps coordinates. :wink:

the surface boil and mooring buoy will help verify the accuracy of your coords.

Isn't Rock Lake in New Mexico? How far do you think that is from Austin in hours? That's a perfect depth, but it might not be any closer than 40 fathom Grotto in FL if it's the same place I'm thinking of.

Rock Lake is about 10+/-hours from AUS.

If the landowner has the same policy for admission, Adv OW is the ONLY credential that was accepted.

You already are! Sorry, I had to go there Granpa.

OK, how 'bout this..."I plan to continue to be an old diver." :wink:

OK, how 'bout this..."I plan to continue to be an old diver." :wink:

A goal we should all hope to attain, however:

I've been on some very adventurous dive trips with K-valve (understatement), and the word "old" doesn't fit his profile.

It is pretty kick a** that he is in fact, a super cool, adventure seekin', cave divin' grandpa.:crafty:

Some of the better deeper Tx. oil rigs are well in the 300fsw depth, a lt. trip from shore .....easy to get 220fsw training deep.

in response to the PMs I've received regarding diving at Goodenough, here's a link to our project website page that clearly states our position on non-team activities.

Goodenough Springs Exploration Project
I would hope that anyone without cave training and experience would not attempt any overhead environment, much less a cave like Goodenough Springs that is quite deep and high flow. Entering any cave system, even as a cave certified diver with experience, that is as deep as Goodenough is not safe in my opinion without trimix certification and experience. Anyone without both would be smart to steer clear of this particular cave and drive the extra 6-7 hours to FL to dive some of those less technical systems.

Even the person I'm going with who has a wealth of technical, trimix and cave experience and is a technical instructor, and myself both cave and hypoxic trimix certified and a technical DM with experience, have no intention of doing anything more than a preliminary exploration of the cave before the fire hydrant tunnel. We are prudent and may do no more than check out the entrance and decide that will be enough for the first trip. We've never been there before and we have no intention of placing ourselves in danger and having our kids grow up without their fathers.

I hope anyone else who is comtemplating Goodenough will be as prudent. Cave diving does not have to be dangerous. In fact, it can be simple and enjoyable, but only if you are trained and prepared for the underwater cave environment. Otherwise, you are taking your life into your own hands and risking closing the system to other divers with more experience and good sense.

As far as the "team" who dives Goodenough goes, if you all are that worried about other people diving the site you might consider removing the GPS coordinates from your web page and resist giving folks landmarks to look for that will point them to the cave. It is practically an invitation to divers to find it, and once they see the entrance it may be difficult for them to resist entering even though they know the risks. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom