Laguna diving conditions as of late.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Phillips

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One thing I have been noticing as far as visibility has been going in Laguna is that you need to get out deeper than 45' or so to get any decent vis.
Last Sunday I dove Deadmans and had a good 15' but that was in the 65-70' range.
On Wednesday I did a dive at Pinnacles at Crescent Bay (max depth 41') and had 10-12' but it was murky and somewhat green.
On the deeper dives, you could see the difference in the visibility as you dropped down through the green soup to clearer water. There is also a very noticeable thermocline past 45' or so. The green water is a bit warmer, about 56-58 degrees, where the clearer water is in the 53-55 degree range.
The moral of the story, I guess, is to get deeper for better diving.
I could be wrong though. Conditions change and I'm rambling!
Have fun.
See some of you on Sunday.
Robb

we deal with this at the good ol la jolla canyon every dive pretty much, crap til about 60 ft then it opens up and gets better as you go deeper. the only thing is when theres a nasty muck layer on the surface you end up doing a "night" dive. some days we get lucky and theres 20 ft of vis in the shallows.

Yeah, the deeper the better for the vis!! Although we have a nice diver's swell, the Shores has tons of batrays who muck up the vis when they swim around. I saw two this am which is better than the usual batray cloud I get to see :)

Sean

We dove cleo street today and had 20 ft vis on the barge in 41 ft of water :D we got below the muck and had a great dive.

Montage/Treasure Island had lots of pea soup above 20 feet and then it was pretty clear below that. If it was high tide instead of low tide, it probably would have been a much better dive. At low tide all the structure seemed to be in the soup and only the sand was clear. :11:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom