labrinitis and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonnaE

Reaction score
I am an avid diver with advanced certification - diving is my sport of choice.... I have been in love with it since my husband and I started in 1978. 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with labrinitis. It has been horrible - very systemic- could not move, extremely dizzy, vomiting. I also suffer from migraines and it facilitated a severe one - to the point my husband had to take me to the hospital. I saw an ENT early on and I was given meclazine and steroids to decrease inflammation. Even with treatment, I still am not feeling "normal" yet. It has been a gradual up and down recovery. I still feel fatigue, and every once and a while a little bit of a balance issue. I returned to work part time. Now for the 64,000 dollar question. My husband and I are supposed to be going to Papa Newguinea at the end of this month, for diving. I have been so looking forward to it. I just saw my ENT yesterday (non-diver). He flipped when I told him I was going diving. He said I need to stay away from diving for 6 to 12 months, so my inner ear can heal - that diving would be the worst thing for it, and I risk permanent injury to my inner ear with many complications if I do dive, secondary to the atmospheric pressures. He stated that I risk permanent dizziness, as well as loss of hearing. He said let this trip go, and go diving later when I am healed. Is there anything I can do about this, as it is very hard to give up this trip - I will if I have to but I wanted to hear from a physician who understood diving. I will look forward to your advise.

Sincerely, Donna

Hi Donna,

I feel your pain, Donna. Having to sit out PNG is a very serious disappointment.

What is described seems to be "labyrinthitis," for which "meclizine" and an oral steroid have been prescribed to help control vertigo/dizziness.

Sad as it is, the ENT is entirely correct. Not only could scuba cause a worsening of the condition, but an episode of vertigo underwater could result in drowning.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I have nothing to add to Doc Vikingo's post, because he's right. But I do want to say I'm very sorry this happened to you at this terribly inconvenient time :(

Dear DocVikingo, RE: Labyrinthitis

Thanks much for your insight- I wasn't quite sure, and I wanted to get advice from a physician who dives.... I am very, very sad about not being able to dive in PNG, however there will be other times - my next question is, how long? My ENT said 6 - 12 months - is 6 still cutting it close? August may hold another dive opportunity... however that is only 3 months post. I do not want to dive in August, just to exacerbate the problem or create increased injury to the inner ear. What's a girl to do??

Thanks again for your advice, it is sincerely appreciated!

Donna

Not wanting to highjack this thread but I am curious: Donna, have you ever experienced any dizziness in diving before that Labyrinthitis? And do you have regular motion sickness problems?

I ask this because my wife started diving in '96 and twice, I had to make an emergency controlled ascent because she would be dizzy and disoriented. She quit diving in '98 because of those experiences. She always have been affected by motion sickness (boat, car, seeing rollercoasters on tv!) and in '99 or 2000, she had a labyrinthitis. I found her on the floor, rolling, vomiting and saying she was falling and falling (she was already on the ground). Had to call an ambulance, we really tought she was dying.

I wonder if an inner ear problem could be the cause for her diving problems and if the labyrinthitis is just another symptom of it.

It's sad she had to quit the sport she started to love and that we cant be regular buddies, but it's fine that it's not that serious after all.

Please answer Donna's questions before mine since it's her thread.

To Eric,
Yes, I have always had big issues with motion sickness- car/boat etc. - I use a transderm patch diving - active ingredient= scopolamine 1.5 mg. Need an Rx for it, and it has worked 100% - (except once off the Monterery coast in a Zodiac - but I don't count that- the seas were choppy). Motion sickness is when your vestibular system/inner ear (balance) and your occular system (vision) are not feeding information back to the brain in unison - or are sending conflicting signals back to the brain. Smells can effect the person with motion sickness also - i.e., exhaust fumes, etc.

With Labyrinthitis, it is a virus that settles itself in the inner ear - causing infection/inflammation. Usually the person has a cold or flu, then the virus migrates its way to the inner ear. (Your wife and I are just sooo lucky). But it is two different things. Regarding being dizzy while diving, I do not recall anytime when this occured - maybe it was suppressed by medication - The Dr. would know. I know one thing - I refuse to let this stop me - I will dive again once I have regained my health- I love diving way too much. Good luck to you and your wife.

Donna

Hi Donna,

I applaud your decision and attitude. IMHO, they are healthy ones.

Labyrinthitis can have a variety of causes and only a relatively small percentage of cases result from a virus; about half don't have an identifiable cause. Partially related to this, the condition is somewhat unpredictable as regards duration. It can last anywhere from days to a lifetime.

As for return to scuba, the bottom line is when your symptoms have completely resolved and the ENT says, "Okay."

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks Donna and Doc. If it were only the Labi..., she would still dive but it's more the diziness in diving that is a dangerous issue. Just wanted to know if it might be related.

Hi DocVikingo,

I stand corrected - thank you for clarification- my ENT stated (possibly in my case) it was related to a virus.... I had a brief cold approx. 1-2 wks prior to insult - What I will do is visit my ENT again prior to diving for appropriate varification regarding enough lapsed time between insult and symptom-free. I am going to mentally approach this as a "one time" incident - I have successfully gotten around my other issues (motion sickness, migraines) for a long time now, and I plan on diving for as long as my body allows....I have great hopes for this as because on our last Cayman trip, my husband and I met a couple that were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary - I told my husband "that's us in 24 more years!!". There is nothing that compares to this wonderful, fascinating, educational sport! Thank you again, Dr. Vikingo, for your willingness to share your knowledge to assist divers with their medical issues.

Good diving to all,
Donna

Donna -- just a hint on deciding when you are "symptom-free" -- Remember that visual input can massively override the signals from the inner ear. Make sure you are not only not dizzy in normal function, but you are steady and untroubled with your eyes closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom