La Paz dive shop recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catzndogz22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to spend a few days diving with sea lions in La Paz before boarding a Socorro liveaboard at the end of this month. Can anybody recommend a reputable dive operator in La Paz? I'm also looking for information about transportation between SJD and La Paz. Thanks!

Any new recommendations for dive shops in La Paz? Looking to do a couple of days at the end of November.

Any new recommendations for dive shops in La Paz? Looking to do a couple of days at the end of November.
Per the recommendation above, I booked my dives through Luke Inman at Cortez Expeditions and was very happy with the service. I'll definitely book with him on future trips to La Paz and he'll be on my shortlist for my next Socorro or Sea of Cortez liveaboard trip. Side note: I LOVED La Pax for both the diving and the town. Cortez Expeditions

Per the recommendation above, I booked my dives through Luke Inman at Cortez Expeditions and was very happy with the service. I'll definitely book with him on future trips to La Paz and he'll be on my shortlist for my next Socorro or Sea of Cortez liveaboard trip. Side note: I LOVED La Pax for both the diving and the town. Cortez Expeditions
Yeah, they are on my "recommended" list, they're just a little pricey for a 2 tank dive ($200)

Yeah, they are on my "recommended" list, they're just a little pricey for a 2 tank dive ($200)
Is that for a private boat or group? How far is the dive site?

cortez-pricing.jpg

For $200, you are getting a full day's excursion, food, the marine park fee is covered. Plus it's a long boat ride, up to 2 hours. That's 4 hours round trip, so a lot of fuel. Plus, they go at half capacity for the comfort of the guests. CE is owner operated, and provides an upscale experience. While it isn't for everyone, it certainly isn't gouging anyone. Over the years, I've sent people there who have been incredibly happy with the service and the quality equipment. Luke has a great reputation among top instructors in Mexico.

For $200, you are getting a full day's excursion, food, the marine park fee is covered. Plus it's a long boat ride, up to 2 hours. That's 4 hours round trip, so a lot of fuel. Plus, they go at half capacity for the comfort of the guests. CE is owner operated, and provides an upscale experience. While it isn't for everyone, it certainly isn't gouging anyone. Over the years, I've sent people there who have been incredibly happy with the service and the quality equipment. Luke has a great reputation among top instructors in Mexico.
I assume you're replying to the other poster about "gouging", since I never used that word. I said they were pricey...which they are.

I've found several other La Paz dive shops that offer the same trip description for $150 or less. Unless they are all providing sketchy/sub-standard dive services, they're 25% cheaper than CE, which adds up for 2 divers over multiple days.

CE may provide a unique dive experience that the others don't, but I'm not seeing it from the description.

Back
Top Bottom