La Jolla Sand Flats creature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Son of Spam

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm hoping that somebody might be able to help to come up with the actual name for a little creature I keep running into on the La Jolla Sand Flats/Shores. They seem to always be in the same area as the feeding sand dollars. You can find them buried as a little ruffle in the sand, they are about 2.5-3 inches long and have a rather vibrant lilac purple coloration. The appearance would be a flat topped mushroom. I thought they might be something that I saw pulled up in drag net called a sea petunia, but I can't find anything under that name.

On a separate not if any one has heard of a sea petunia, I'd like to know what they are. All I remember has that they were a flat topped, purple, found off San Diego, and when pressed on them in the night they phosphorized in a wave pattern.

any clues let me know

Sea Pansy
SeaPansy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom