LA Diver moving to CO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys!

I was wondering what the dive community is like in CO (Denver/Boulder area)? I'm an LA native that's most likely going to be moving to Denver for work and was hoping to keep my gills wet (especially since I just upgraded to BP/W and bought an expensive kit for my DSLR). Thanks!

At first glance I read that as moving to Carbon Monoxide :D

What kind of diving are you looking for?

Someone once said that the Colorado state motto should be that Colorado is just a plane flight away from great diving. According to DEMA statistics, we have among the highest number of divers per capita in the nation every year, yet we do not have much in the way of local diving. Very locally, it isn't great--shallow lakes with poor visibility. If you are willing to travel a little, it gets better.

If you go south to Santa Rosa, NM, you can dive in the Blue Hole, which is a small sinkhole about 85 feet deep. If you are an advanced diver, you can get in touch with someone who can get you into Rock Lake nearby, which is much, much larger and about 280 feet deep. That is the only real site where you can do serious advanced and technical diving.

So most of the enormous number of Colorado divers go on dive trips out of the country, and the shops do a good job catering to that market. The more serious divers will go south to New Mexico as I described to get their local diving fix. To dive Rock Lake, you have to be under the supervision of a tech instructor who is approved by the property owner. I lead divers there a little more than once a month for pleasure diving and instruction, and I can go more if there is a demand for it. Just let me know if you are interested.

I dive locally on a regular basis starting around April as well as joining @boulderjohn for trips to Santa Rosa, NM. This year I would like to make it up to some mountain lakes as well. Feel free to PM me if your looking for a tour of the local mud holes.

Back
Top Bottom