L.p 85 or l.p 95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XxDiveLifexX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm gonna post this here and in the cave diving form as I'm getting into both and looking for an all purpose tank setup. I'm 6'2" 295 lbs I'm in ok shape (Well ok dive shape) my RMV rate is good .58. I know there are tons of threads on here about l.p vs hp and 85s and 95s and so on. So without opening a huge can of worms what's a decent set up for back mount doubles lp85 or lp95 don't want to go bigger and my LDS gives "good" fills as I live in and near North central florida and west central florida. Just looking for what people use and why they like it and if they have had experience with both thanks in advance

I like lp85s. I don't see a reason to use lp95 when you consider the 3442psi 100s. Smaller diameter, lighter and a little more negative. To get the same gas quantity you need to fill the lp95s to 2800, maybe fine where you're getting fills. But if you need 100cf get 100cf cylinders. Why count on the fill station operator breaking the law in order to get the gas quantity you need?

lp95's may make you top heavy. especially doubled. twin 85's are nice and not super heavy. The taller 85's make them easier to put on form apicnic table. 85's at 2400 is the same as a al80 and have nice capacity at 3k psi.

Why count on the fill station operator breaking the law in order to get the gas quantity you need?

I am not aware of any "law" for over filling a cylinder. What is the criminal code for that charge and does it fall under misdemeanor or felony?

I like lp85s. I don't see a reason to use lp95 when you consider the 3442psi 100s. Smaller diameter, lighter and a little more negative. To get the same gas quantity you need to fill the lp95s to 2800, maybe fine where you're getting fills. But if you need 100cf get 100cf cylinders. Why count on the fill station operator breaking the law in order to get the gas quantity you need?

The point was not to encourage overfilling. LP tanks can take over filling and they do it well. My thoughts were related to the fill shops. So many do not look at the tank before they fill it. 2400 or 3400 tank they get filled to 3k. The customer catches it and says """hey that's a 3400 tank"""" and they top it off. Many get 3k hot fill at least the lp tank ends up with a full fill regardless if it cools to 2800

@KWS - many on this board do encourage it and the OP seems to be implying it by saying his north FL dive shop gives "good" fills.
I completely agree that a lp is just as likely to get overfilled as a hp is to get under filled. They both get 3000psi hot fills because of lack of knowledge, time or caring from the operator. Checking the contents of cylinders is my responsibility, mix and quantity. If it's not what I want I have the operator correct it. Fortunately I do most of my own fills so it's not a huge issue.
I don't think it's a good idea to buy cylinders with the plan that the operator will not do his job correctly, intentionally or not. Buy the cylinders you need and checking them before leaving the fill station seems like a better approach.

I'm...looking for an all purpose tank setup.

This is your first mistake. There's no such thing. LP85s are great for smaller dives and the ocean. LP95s are great for bigger dives (and I personally still use them in the ocean though some folks will tell you I will die soon because of it). LP104s for even more gas, and there's such thing as LP121s if you're frisky. Cave fills (3600psi or more) are a must for any LP tank.

Back
Top Bottom