L.A. Lurker to Intro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jengineer

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Been lurking in the background since this board is:
1. highly segmented
2. not enough flames (just joking)
3. seems to be a bit huge.

Backgound:
Been diving since 1990. Been to a couple of countries but mainly dive locally (South California). For a brief moment I was getting to look like a feakin christmas tree with my gear. Did a few years of video (Sony Hi-8 TR700 with Amphiboco housing) but as you know the year after you buy your system it is obsolete and man is it expensive to keep upgrading. Put together about 10 hours of amateur vid (titles, music, credits) sold a few gave a few away converted some to PAL for dive buds across the pond.

Started to do some outrageous deco dives (what few wreks we have out here) that would require, according to Buehlmann, close to 45 min deco. Got tired of that real quick and so started to read what little info there was about using "exotic" gases. Thus dude by the name of Dalton and I became close friends and then I was introduced to a rather inert fellow by the name of Helium. Started to change my dive configuration and and dropped a lot of the dive trinkets for streamline-ablility in early '97. Got cued in to things like Mig-Plan, Z-Plan, Abyss, Oxy Hackers Handbook, Hogarth, M-values and of course Das DIR. Still doing deco dives but cut the deco time to no more than 30 min. A couple of the krew I dive with use subclavical doppler and we check for bubbles after the dives. We still need to get a base line for those of us that teach and do CESA's with 8 students in 1 dive session. and compare that to a similar dive profile without the repeated ups/downs.

Looking at the log book I have had some dry years of 56 dives (wow that sucked) to a max of 173 - yeah that was the year when I was playing dive master and was in the water both saturday and sunday and maybe a weekday night dive. Got tired of diving wet and graduated to Dry after ~200 wet dives. Been trying to make my drysuit last 1000 dives but it may not make it. I replace the seals myself but have had to get the zipper done last year.

Volunteered for a couple of California deep water recoveries. Wife is a nurse who cut her teeth at a local hospital in the ER so she likes to get into the mortality/morbidity aspect, helps with the at home debriefing.

tek toys:
doubles with back plate, zeagle regs, stages for 50/50 and 100% O2, homebuilt O2 tester, Oceanic Mako Scooter (it is for sale since I am going to upgrade to a Gavin), homebuilt scooter burn tester, Haskel air booster (for sale since I am rebuilding a), Haskel O2 booster, Pro-14 halogen light - yep I am just about the only one in the krew that that not gone hid, dry suit with pee valve (can you say, ahhhhh?)

rec toys:
same as above just switch out the doubles on a backplate for singles on a backplate

back to stealth mode

joe engineer

Welcome to the boards Tenderfoot!!:D :D

Welcome to the board jengineer!!!

=-)

Back
Top Bottom