kumano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccaigk1

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all,

have been hanging back for a while havnt posted in some time. Finally got my first dive in japan! Was a great experience. I found a friendly dive shop in suzuka where i work that drove me down to kumano for a two tank shore dive. Was pretty tame dive, in a cove/bay. Was my first time in a medium current condition though. ( waves coming in and out made for a little bit of a struggle to hold position.) First dive i saw a morey, neon damsel fish and a bunch of rockfish ( i think, the spiney one) second dive was the best, with a swim to the middle of the bay where the rocks gave way to a sand patch the size of a baseball diamond. very cool. The best was spotting a baby box puffer fish, looked like a yello poka dotted shooter marble with a tail. will post pics when i get a disk burned. Im not one to rant an throw kudos out regularly, but the dive shop Manta 7 was amazing. Theres no service like that back home in Maryland at least. They drove down 3 hours ( i rely on kintetsu and have no wheels) took care of everything including snacks, and the couple who owns the shop made a huge lunch. It cost about 190,000 yen for the trip which is steep for home but i guess? reasonable all in all. Seeing how my entry level scubapro r290 octo ran 320,00 i guess you deal with it or dont dive. Has anyone else been to wakayama? im heading there in two weeks with the same operation

mccaigk1:
It cost about 190,000 yen for the trip which is steep for home but i guess? reasonable all in all.

Takai!!! Is that an extra zero there? That could potentially be the world's most expensive two tank dive at over $1,500!!!! :wink:

jagfish:
Hey Pak
Did you take the picture of that threasher on your avatar?

Jim

Sure did Jim. Just got back from a great 2 week trip through the Philippines including Malapascua for the Thresher sharks. I've posted some of my photos from PG, Anilao, Bohol (Balicasag), Dumaguete/ Apo Island, and Malapascua in the following link. Will post more pics as soon as I can process them... :D

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=156990

and a trip report here

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=158039

mccaigk1, sorry for the hijack!! Nice report btw on kumano!

jagfish:
That is one sweet photo...
What is the season and likelyhood for threshers?

I was lucky that they showed up on both mornings I did the thresher dives and the weather was good despite being offseason in the Philippines. I think I heard the prime season is from Dec to Apr. But the problem is, that is also peak season for vacationers to Malapascua and you have the dilemma of having too many scuba divers all sitting there in one spot waiting for the threshers scaring them off with their bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom