Kuala Lumpur to Sabah or Krabi?--Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK Friends,
I’m outing myself as a longtime lurker. I’ve definitely learned a lot from reading ScubaBoard. Recommendations and trip reports were largely responsible for a great trip to Utila last year. This year, we are lucky enough that work is taking us to Malaysia, but we just found out and time is fast approaching. I’ve read many of your trip reports and banter and have enjoyed it very much, thank you!
A bit about us and our diving…my husband is a DM, not currently practicing, but a pretty solid technical diver. I am AOW and Rescue certified. We both have 250+ dives. We dove a lot when we were in the Pacific NW. We are now located north of Atlanta, GA, and have been diving mainly on vacation (~2x/year) for the past 3 years. We’ll dive locally and check and refresh skills locally before we go. Without diving regularly, I’d put both our skills in the intermediate range.
What we’d love to do is enjoy our time together, dive great sites, be a pit pampered, be on the beach or water, enjoy good food, have a little down/non-dive time, and enjoy the local culture. Preferences are pretty much in that order and I understand we may have to sacrifice some of the latter wishes to get the more important ones. I am 99% sure we don’t want to do a liveaboard. I have read many of your trip reports and glowing reviews of the liveaboards in the area, and they are tempting, but I think we’d rather be land based for this trip. If we’re lucky enough to get to go back, we’ll seriously consider it, but after flying for a day and ½, we’d like to appreciate some of the land and locals if possible. Also, I can’t make any of the 2/3 day liveaboard itineraries jibe w/ our arrival/departure days. From reading your reports, I know I’m sacrificing some of the best diving, but it sounds like in this area, 2nd best is pretty darn good!
So, from a bit of research and reading here and around, I *think* I’ve narrowed things a little bit. Many of you on the Asia section are lucky enough to live in the area, so feel free to throw in your .02 if you feel I’ve overlooked a great opportunity.
Our timeframe is ~April 14-19, departing to our dive area from Kuala Lumpur. We will be arriving from the US on the 13th, departing for ?? on the 14th and returning to KL for a week’s work on the 19th (gotta pay for these trips somehow ;-). It appears that in Sabah you are more likely to find all-inclusives, which have their up and down sides. Whereas, in the Phuket area you are more likely to find a variety of hotels and need to book diving and eat separately—there are pros/cons for both scenarios and we’re ok w/either one.
In current order of current preference (but willing to be swayed)
1. Sabah. I like the look and reports of the Marbul Water Bungalows. Impressions are its pampering, good dives, good staff, good food. Potential downside is isolation-which we can live with if it’s really “all that”. I’m also very interested in Sipidan Water Village. My impression is that they are both very nice. Upside of Marbul is that it’s a bit more pampering, whereas the upside of SWV is that it’s a bit more established and there is some opportunity to go into the local villages? Please feel free to give me your opinion or point out errors, or tell me if I’m missing a great opportunity elsewhere.
2. Phuket area, Phi Phi/Krabi or Ao Nang—I have picked this area primarily b/c it seems to be a reasonable distance after we fly into Phuket, the area seems close to good dive sites without being profoundly overcrowded. I had bookmarked several sites that don’t appear to be functioning now. Honestly, I don’t have a good perspective on the distances between areas. I am assuming that Phi Phi and Ao Nang is an either/or proposition and that both are within commuting distance (2 hrs) from the Phuket airport? I thought I’d done my research on the area but tonight after looking again I came up with a whole slew of different/new hotels. Obviously the up/downside is more options than Sabah, but not being familiar w/the area I’m a bit overwhelmed and confused and I’d love any personal perspectives. We’d love a hotel on the beach w/ villas or bungalows. We’d gladly pay for the upgrade to a sea view or seaside bungalow/cottage if you have one to recommend.

A side note--While we'd like to stay in a comfy/nice place, we've done (and thoroughly enjoyed) sketchier living conditions for the better "experience".
Ok, if you’ve read this far, thanks! If you have an opinion or advice to offer, thanks even more!! I’m very interested in any/all local and/or experienced perpectives!

All the best,
~Ashley

Hi Ashley,
Sipadan/Mabul and Thailand are both good choices in April.

Mabul Water Bungalows and Sipadan Water Village are virtually next to each other, you can visit the (very small) local village from either. There is no nightlife at all at Mabul. The resorts will be pretty full by now. Sipadan diving is superb.
Check transfer times carefully, with a short stay it can really cut into your number of dives. You can fly from KL to Tawau with Air Asia. The resorts will collect you from the airport and transfer you to Mabul Island but unless you arrive early am you won't be able to dive that day, you'll losetwo dives from your package. You may need to spend a night in Tawau.

Another option in Sabah is Layang Layang, if it's not full already. April is hammerhead shark season. Fly to Kota Kinabalu from KL and then the resort has a plane to Layang.

For Thailand, fly from KL to Phuket (lots of flights with Air Asia or Malaysia Airlines). From Phuket airport it's a 3 hour taxi ride to Ao Nang, Krabi. Phi Phi Island is a ferry ride away.

Phuket and Phi Phi diving is better than Krabi. You can dive Phi Phi from Phuket. You can also dive the Similan Islands by daytrip from Phuket (although it's a long day). To really do the best diving do a liveaboard trip to the Similan Islands.

You could also stay in Khao Lak which is 1 hour drive north of Phuket airport and closer to the Similan Islands. Koh Bon and Richelieu Rock are also possible daytrips from there. April is a good month to dive there.

Lots of nightlife on Phuket. Plus shopping and other tours, ie elephant trekking, sea kayaking in Phang Nga Bay.

Note that 13 April is the Thai new year celebration called "Songkran." It's great to be in Thailand for it if you can. It's a big water festival, lots of fun. However shortly after Songkran, hotel prices drop a lot so you can get good prices.

Mat,
Thank You! Thank You! Your input was exactly what I was looking for. We have tentative reservations at SWV and Marbul Water Bungalows. I think our preference is for MWB but we have to shift our arrangements by one day b/c they aren't available on the 14th. We'll cancel one and final book the other this weekend. Thanks to your post, things may actually work out better, since we are thinking about overnighting in Tawau on the 14th if we go w/MWB.
I hope we have the opportunity to go back to the area soon, and then we'll try Thailand. Despite everyone's GREAT reviews, Phuket, Phi Phi, Ao Nang actually offers too many choices without a strong recommendation for a specific resort, and without the time to do further research. Marbul/Sipidan sounds like an awesome adventure, and we are looking forward to it!
What a great resource we have in ScubaBoard! Thank You!
All the best!
~Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I think that you've made a good choice with Mabul and Sipadan diving- it's great. Just my two cents, though- don't stay in Tawau. If you must, spend the night in KL or KK. Have a great trip!!

We booked for MWB and were able to shift everything by one day. We were able leave KL early enough that we don't need to overnight in Tawau. I thought that Tawau might be an interesting overnight, but after a bit of research, it looked like there's not much there. A travel agent recommended Air Asia for our connecting flights, which gave us many more options and was much less expensive than Malaysia Air.
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll be around the board and hopefully post a trip report upon our return.

Air asia is cheaper, but their luggage allowances are alot lower.

Its good to check their current luggage allowance but I think it may be cheaper to "pre-book" your overweight luggage and you will be going from the LCCT in KL, so don't bank on buying much at that airport during the transfer to Tawau (well there wasn't back in from Dec 05).

Sipidan is great, but there is also great muck diving at Mabul, so you should have fun where ever you dive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom