Kraken weefine ring light 3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry G

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the boards. I've been diving for many years (since '84) but recently became interested in underwater photography. I currently shot with a Canon G16 and Canon WP-DC52 case. I just purchased an Olympus TG-5 and Olympus PT-058 case for the micro photography. I'd like to try the Kraken 3000 ring light. I've looked on ScubaBoard, but don't see much about it (I am still trying to figure out the search engine). I did call Kraken Sports and left several messages and sent several emails all over the last 2-3 weeks. Kraken hasn't returned any of my contacts. What I'd like to know is if the ring light will fit the 2 cases I have or if there is an adaptor available for each case. Does anyone know if the Kraken ring light 3000 will fit the cases I have?

Thanks,
Larry

It's not going to fit the Canon unless you have some sort of 67mm port adapter. The PT-058 housing requires the M52-F67 and the use of a special sync cord that fits behind the diffuser. This kit has what you need.

We have an ariicle here that gives directions on using the Kraken lights w/burst modes.

TG5-RingLite-3000-set5.jpg

TG5-RingLite-3000-set3.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply! Will you tell me how the fiber optic cable and the light attach to the front of the housing? Is the fiber optic cable easily removed underwater and can the ring light be easily removed underwater?

I'll look into it later today.

Larry

The sync cord is here. It just slides in.

No, the ring light cannot be easily removed underwater. It screws on and comes with a little spanner to tighten onto the port. It can be used with a second strobe or light if you want.

"...No, the ring light cannot be easily removed underwater..."

I have no experience with this ring light, but do have a 67 mm threaded diopter. I can unscrew this diopter underwater, or mount it on a flip adapter. The "unscrewing" does take some time, but I have done it. Can you unscrew the ring light underwater? Is there a flip adapter that's strong enough to use with it?

No and I don't know what you'd do with it underwater. No, a flip holder doesn't work, the light won't mount on it and would be bulky and awkward with the light.

There's no need. You can still shoot normal photos and there's no need to use a diopter with the TG-5. The ringlight has a swivel, you can turn the battery around it you need to. That takes a spanner to hold on to that they supply.

Thanks again. I'll be in Curacao in a few weeks I'll buy one and try it on my Olympus.

Do you know of any adaptor that would allow the ring light to mount to a Canon WP-DC52 case, or am I looking for something that simply doesn't exist?

Also, does anyone know anything about Kraken Sport? I called them twice in the last 2 days, and sent several emails and left several phone messages over the last few weeks. They don't answer their phone and do not return calls or emails.

Thanks again,
Larry

Larry, as far as I know there isn't an adaprter for that case. Kraken is a distributor and he's been very busy since DEMA. Dealers such as myself are available to help you.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom