Kraken compatible BC / BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wing size will be driven by the exposure protection you use, and the weight you carry to offset that. Remember, the wing should be sized to float your rig (without you in it) at the surface. Integrated weights (if you use them) are in that equation then. Exposure protection compression at depth then leads to the weight you use needing to be offset by the wing.

The 18# Oxy (and similar - I dive a VDH) is like wearing nothing, and I use it for warm water and a 3mm shorty. The 23# and the 30# are also very nice as the long and narrow design rides the tank nicely. We use the 30# in cold water with steel tanks. At your height the Oxy/VDH/DiveRite is a great option in my personal opinion.

The wing size will be driven by the exposure protection you use, and the weight you carry to offset that. Remember, the wing should be sized to float your rig (without you in it) at the surface. Integrated weights (if you use them) are in that equation then. Exposure protection compression at depth then leads to the weight you use needing to be offset by the wing.

The 18# Oxy (and similar) is like wearing nothing, and I use it for warm water and a 3mm shorty. The 23# and the 30# are also very nice as the long and narrow design rides the tank nicely. We use the 30# in cold water with steel tanks. At your height the Oxy/VDH/DiveRite is a great option in my personal opinion.

Thanks Bob,

For the DiveRite, do you mean the HydroLite? Or the Transplate XT Lite Traveler EXP?

I started with Oxy 30# wings, and have 18# and 23# VDH wings. The VDH are my favorite, and had they been around from the start, I likely wouldn't have any Oxy wings...
Thanks Bob,

A lot of these aren't available in Indonesia it seems :(

I'd go for the VDH, but out of stock and no more stock anytime soon from what I'm reading. Same with the backplate.

Update:

So I'm cutting the back plate from plastic since SS is crazy expensive here and I can easily modify plastic if it's not quite right. I'm working towards emulating the VDH design, with some much needed help from another member.

Has anyone tried the Diverite Voyager XT 35lb with the Kraken and VDH BP?

The other wings here are only 25lb and that just doesn't seem like enough lift should we get stuck in a down current etc.

I'm not familiar with a vast majority of wings. However, with the Kraken and a VDH plate (or a similar design) any should work just fine with the exception of a wing that has the corrugated hose in the middle. Older HOGs and DSS are the only two that I can think of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom