Kona Diving Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be in Kona March 14-22nd. The 18th through the 21st, my husband is in meetings until 11AM. (medical conference) We are wanting to dive in the afternoon those days. We are staying in Hapuna. I read what I could on here regarding afternoon diving. One dive operator said that south of the airport is protected all day. That was over a decade ago, though. Does that still hold true? For reference, we are newly rescue diver certified, with around 250 dives each, at least 100 of which have been in Bonaire, including many of the unmarked sites and sites above BOPEC. What sites would you all recommend for afternoon diving. I realize it's not ideal, but we don't have much of a choice, and scrapping diving for 4/7 days is not an option.

Ah. A medical conference at the Westin Hapuna. My wife will be there the week after you're there for a medical conference and I'll be diving when she's conferencing. I've dove Kona side of the Big Island many times, both shore and boat and I'd like to help.

The best shore diving close to Hapuna beach is at Puako (best of that is at "end of the road") and up at Mahukona.

For nearby boat diving, Kohala Divers runs one and two tank afternoon / afternoon-evening dives just a few miles north of Hapuna. They also run night manta dives. Ask for Bryce. Blue Wilderness also runs night manta dives. Ask for "Flipper."

You can also do night manta dives out of Honokahou Harbor a bit of a drive south of Hapuna, with a number of dive operators: Jack's Diving Locker (ask for Keller or Sarah), Kona Honu (ask for Capt. Tom), Big Island Divers, Kona Diving Company.

I HIGHLY recommend doing a Black Water or Magic Pelagic dive, with either Kona Honu (say "hi" to Jeff) or Jack's Diving Locker (say "hi" to Sarah). (BTW, Jeff and Sarah are newlyweds, having been married during a black water dive. Here's an article about them and their black water dives. Battle of the Blackwater Guides.)

- Oren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom