Kona diving - Jack's or Big Island Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diva159

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,
I will be in Kona later this month with my cousin. We are both advanced divers and are looking at Jack's or Big Island Divers. Anyone have a preference? Also, is Puako worth the distance?
Thanks,
Kaci

Can't comment on Big Island Divers but I can reccomend Jacks. We dove with them for 4 days straight doing the manta dives and pelagic magic dives. Got to know some of the a lot crew real well and they are friendly and inviting. They store your gear free if your doing multi day diving and set it up on the dive boat as a courtesy. Also complementary rides to and from port. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Don't know if you have ruled them out, but Kona Dive Company has extended range three tank trips. Don't know if they run them this time of year. Sorry, this is a little off topic to your question.

I dove with both and they were both great. The only thing I liked better bout Jack's is that the "Pelagic magic" dive goes out a couple of hours earlier than Big Island diver's trip. As an east coaster with a 6 hour time difference, I could not stay up too late!

Can't comment on Big Island Divers but I can reccomend Jacks. We dove with them for 4 days straight doing the manta dives and pelagic magic dives. Got to know some of the a lot crew real well and they are friendly and inviting. They store your gear free if your doing multi day diving and set it up on the dive boat as a courtesy. Also complementary rides to and from port. Hope this helps.

Yes to everything Brian wrote. Safety briefings before getting on the boat everyday and impromptu whale watching excursions during surface intervals!

Jack's (going out with them Sunday) or Kona dive company are the 2 I prefer.

I did my open water certification dives and the Manta night dive with Big Island Divers last October, and had a great experience. I would highly recommend them. We went and did some shore dives at Puaco after we got certified, and they were great shore dives for inexperienced divers. Beautiful volcanic reefs, lots of fish and turtles. Can't wait till we can go back again.

Both outfits are good. When we have guests at our sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com) and they need supplies coming out of the airport, we recommend Big Island Divers as they are the first dive shop coming from the airport into Kona. Puako is a beautiful dive but you should check with a local to find the correct entrance. Quite a drive if you are in the Kona area.

jacks bt far ...did them after bikini atoll manta dive was great .........

I dove with BID in March 2016 and thought they were great however someone here on SB witnessed them mis-handling marine life. This was not my first-hand experience but the person who said it was someone who's opinions I trust. Jack has a great reputation too.

Since then I contacted Manta Ray Advocates Hawai'i and they recommended:

www.KonaHonuDivers.com and www.KonaDivingCompany.com.

Both of these ops are supposedly highly concerned with the preservation of the mantas so I will very likely dive with one of them as soon as I find some cheap air fare to Kona.

Back
Top Bottom