Kona Dive Boat Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rakdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to Kona in mid September for 10-12 days, probably 8 dive days, mostly morning boat trips, but will want to do the night manta dive and a few shore dives (solo diver in my travelling party). DM with 200 or so dives (California, Red Sea, Caribbean, Maui and Kauai).

Which operator would you recommend? Do any of them offer decent multi-day dive packages (Jack's doesn't seem comparable to the package deal I got with Lahaina Divers last year)?

Thanks!

All the ops in Kona are very good. They are all priced right about the same as well. We dive mostly by ourselves shore diving but when wanting a boat trip it is usually with Big Island Divers but have gone out with JDL, Kona Honu and others.

All the ops in Kona are very good. They are all priced right about the same as well. We dive mostly by ourselves shore diving but when wanting a boat trip it is usually with Big Island Divers but have gone out with JDL, Kona Honu and others.
Thanks very much....which shore dives would you recommend?

The water in September should be great. We live on the south end of the island in Ocean View so we like Miloli'i Pier and Da Rack/Haolewood. Two-Step is one of the most famous/popular dives on the island and should be on your itinerary.

Alot depends on where you are staying. Up towards Puako there are great spots as well as in Kailua-Kona.

Check out: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to see all the dive sites.

The Manta Night Dive should be on your Bucket List...the Black Water dive is highly regarded as a must do as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do what I can to help.

The water in September should be great. We live on the south end of the island in Ocean View so we like Miloli'i Pier and Da Rack/Haolewood. Two-Step is one of the most famous/popular dives on the island and should be on your itinerary.

Alot depends on where you are staying. Up towards Puako there are great spots as well as in Kailua-Kona.

Check out: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to see all the dive sites.

The Manta Night Dive should be on your Bucket List...the Black Water dive is highly regarded as a must do as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do what I can to help.
Thanks very much...that's really helpful

make sure you do the night manta dive it was great when I did it

Staying Kailua-Kona at the Royal Kona in June 2020 with both my kids who are certified. My son will have 32 dives but my daughter will only be at 8 when we arrive and she is still considered a junior diver due to age so limited to 40ft. Looking for someone local to join us or point in a good direction for sites suitable for beginners that still provide adventure.

I would advise you to ask some serious questions of whichever dive op you choose as to what you are going to see. I recently did two dives out of Kona that were the worst salt water dives I have ever done because there wasn't much of interest to see. I won't name the dive op because I don't know if what I saw was normal diving from Kona or laziness on their part. If I were to do it again I would have long discussions with the op about what wild life to expect. I would question what the difference is between long distance sites and close by sites other than a longer boat ride.

The third dive we did, the Pelagic night dive with Jack's Locker, was very interesting and very well briefed and executed.

Will be in Kailua-Kona 3/20-3/28. Interested in buddy for shore dives. DM and we can share more info.

Back
Top Bottom