Komodo, Raja Possibly Lembeh And Maybe Bali In September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clernix

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to Indonesia in September. I am diving Komodo and Raja with Grand Komodo diving. Has anyone used them before?

Everything I am seeing on youtube and Undercurrent sounds pretty positive. This is my first time back to Asia in 30 years so I'm stoked and freaked.

Reading this forum I have decided to add Lembeh to the trip. It wasn't budgeted but it sounds like I can't miss it either. After Komodo and Raja I will have 8 days. I am planning 4 for Lembeh. Is that enough to hit the hot spots?

I plan on decompressing in Bali a few days before I go home. Is there a must dive in Bali?

I really plan to just lay on the beach, eat good food and visit a few temples.

Greetings from Indonesia Clernix,

If you are interested in Mola-molas you may want to schedule a 3 tank day trip to Nusa Penida during your stay in Bali, you'll be here during Mola season. You can catch a dive boat out of Sanur or Padangbai 20-40 minute crossing. I've used www.baliscuba.com and www.aquamarinediving.com, both are fantastic operators, safe & reliable.

Bali has some pretty amazing diving too, Tulamben & Pandangbai are totally underrated! Frogfish, ton's of Nudi's , Rhinopias...etc. The companies mentioned above do day trips to these areas or you can stay up North, although they don't have the best beaches in this area. But you can always find a hotel with a seaside bale to recline in.

Like you said "lay on the beach, eat good food and visit a few temples", there are plenty of options for this throughout Bali. Temples - Tanah Lot, Uluwatu, Tirta Gangga...etc.

Have a fantastic dive holiday!

Cheers,

I will have to add the Mola dive. I wouldn't want to pass it up. I may reduce Lembeh by one day. I really want to see Bali above the water line too. The beauty of Indonsia has me captivated. I have been planning this trip for three years so I am pretty anxious to get underway.

I have a feeling this will be the first of many trips.

Thanks for the info Adelaar

Sounds like a great trip.
As much as I LOVE Lembeh, my suggestion is that you should just spend those 8 days in Bali. The travel to and from Lembeh will waste nearly two full days. And 3 days does not do Lembeh justice. Nor does 3-4 days do Bali justice.

As mentioned above Bali has some amazing muck diving, such as Padang Baai and Tulamben (check out Scuba Seraya). So you will get to see many amazing critters. And then the Molas. And then you have the amazing culture of Bali to explore, and places from Ubud to Uluwatu.
Indo really is an amazing country!!

That is some sound advice Al. The travel time to Sulawesi would be from Sorong so I would lose that day either way. You are correct Sulawesi to Bali would cost me a day. Reading about Bunaken and Lembeh; it does sound like a trip in itself.
Also Bali has a lot to offer. Both above and below the water. I did read a thread comparing muck diving in Bali to Lembeh. While most were saying Lembeh was better Bali got some good reviews too.
Rounding out the trip with 8 days in Bali does sound like a really good idea.

I am diving Komodo and Raja with Grand Komodo diving. Has anyone used them before?

Yes. You couldn't have made a better choice in terms of guides and service. Of course they offer budget prices so you can't expect luxury. They are the pioneers of diving in Komodo and have been operating LOBs there for more than 20 years.

After Komodo and Raja I will have 8 days. I am planning 4 for Lembeh. Is that enough to hit the hot spots? I plan on decompressing in Bali a few days before I go home.

You can expect some flight delays / cancellations so don't make a schedule that's so tight it can't accommodate these delays. Travelling in Indonesia? Expect the unexpected (and take a big book).

That is some sound advice Al. The travel time to Sulawesi would be from Sorong so I would lose that day either way. You are correct Sulawesi to Bali would cost me a day. Reading about Bunaken and Lembeh; it does sound like a trip in itself.
Also Bali has a lot to offer. Both above and below the water. I did read a thread comparing muck diving in Bali to Lembeh. While most were saying Lembeh was better Bali got some good reviews too.
Rounding out the trip with 8 days in Bali does sound like a really good idea.

Bali really is fantastic above and below. Tulamben offers some great muck with a lot of the same critters that Lembeh has. There is always difference in opinion which better. But topside in Bali is fantastic, leave yourself some time to see some of it. Lembeh is all about the diving which is awesome as well. Padang Bai offers some great critters as well, and access to diving off Lembongan and other spots where you have a chance at the famed Mola Mola. Or you can stay on Lembongan. One of my fave parts about Tulamben is at many resorts you will have your own guide and at Liberty Dive Resort I even make my own dive schedule.

Are you doing a LOB in Raja Ampat? I ask cause missing diving the Missol area is missing the best of Raja.

I am doing a LOB in Raja. I booked a 12 day LOB with Gran Komodo.

I am going to check out liberty dive resort. Dirtfarmer what would be your top resorts in the southern and northern part of Bali. I want to stay in the south some for the beaches and food. Also I plan to visit a couple temples.

Yes. You couldn't have made a better choice in terms of guides and service. Of course they offer budget prices so you can't expect luxury. They are the pioneers of diving in Komodo and have been operating LOBs there for more than 20 years.
I am not a luxury type person. I need a clean rack, three squares and a fresh tank. What I am reading on undercurrent.org seems really nice.

I am doing a LOB in Raja. I booked a 12 day LOB with Gran Komodo.

I am going to check out liberty dive resort. Dirtfarmer what would be your top resorts in the southern and northern part of Bali. I want to stay in the south some for the beaches and food. Also I plan to visit a couple temples.

In the South when diving I've stayed on Lembongan as opposed to say Sanur or Padang Bai. When I stay in Padang Bai I'm usually in transit to/from the Gillis. I've always missed out on diving Padang Bai proper but it's rated well. On Lembongan I can't remember where I stayed but my new choice would be MegaCottage nice little affordable ocean view bungalows, and I've dived with Lembongan Dive Center just a minutes walk from there. The Gillis are great for beaches, restaurants, drinking and plenty of choices to stay, but only so-so for diving. When I travel with my wife we'll stay on Gilli Air and after I get bored and restless sitting around I'll do a dive in the afternoon. In the North Tulamben and LDR are my fave.

Now I'm distracted from doing my taxes and dreaming of diving, worse problem is I don't even have a trip planned for November which is the next time I can really get off the farm.

Looks like you have a great trip going, just beware Indonesia gets in your blood and you'll want to keep going back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom