Komodo May/June 2010 -- DiveKomodo liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We just got back from Komodo two weeks ago and I have waited to post because the diving was so fantastic I wanted it to sink in for a little while to best articulate...

We dived aboard DIVE KOMODO. Liveaboards and Day Dive Centre in Labuan Bajo, Flores, Indonesia.[/url] on the Embaku with dive master Herry and we had a crew of five wonderful gentlemen who made sure all of our dives were great, the food was great and that we were comfortable at every turn. This is an outstanding and fun crew!

Herry is an amazing dive master who really, really knows the Komodo dive sites and creatures. He has > 8,000 logged dives and has been working as a dive master in Papua, Irian Jaya, Egypt and other parts of Indonesia for 18 years. He brings great love for diving and the animals and great skill and knowledge to each dive.

He basically taught us how to dive the strong currents of Komodo and made it easy for us to see the best of that area.

We had eight knot drift dives, great wall dives, night dives and gentle sunlit shallow dives.

The visibility was often > 100ft. and bottom temperatures ranged 81-86 deg F.

I did 23 dives in six days and often came up from a dive thinking "that was the best dive ever!".

We had great shark encounters at Castle Rock and Manta encounters. We saw all sorts of nudies, giant clams, giant Napoleon wrass, bump-head parrot fish, bat fish, octopus, cuttle fish, eels, pygmy seahorse, mantas shrimp, sweet lips and so much amazingly beautiful hard and soft corals... most of which we saw on a daily basis.

After we dived Komodo we did two dives on Bali and it was nice but it just wasn't even close.

Although some of my dive buddies got caught in current and ended up in the blue, our tender Indra was always there for a swift pickup. I never got nervous in Komodo waters as the creatures there are so beautiful and benign. The whole area is just so magical!

Thank you divekomodo.com and crew of Embaku for a great dive adventure and lifetime memory!!!

-Donovan

I noticed that you reported 50 -99 dives. How difficult was it to deal with the current...8 knots is screaming!!!! How did your friends get in trouble and how long did it take to pick them up? We are thinking of diving the area in August/September any input would be appreciated.

I would also be interested in how you traveled, which airlines and connection cities. Thanks, Bob

what sort of diving conditions have you done your 100+ dives in bobgads?

i was there a month ago and did my 100th dive there and i had the time of my life and the experience of a life time. looking back i probably wasn't ready for it but i had a great group- 2 people the same age with a similar amount of dives and a guy with 1000+ dives and his 5th time in komodo. with 2 dive guides.

are you confident in strong current? drift dives? big swells on the surface? negative entry off the back of a zodiac in current/ harsh conditions? safety stops in the blue?

i hadn't done any of this before i went, i'm still alive, yay.. the 2 dive guides and experienced diver gave me some very good advice which really helped me..

i would just make sure you are physically in good shape and know what to do in the current and how to spot currents (i'm still learning but have picked up some very basic but important things).

you will have the time of your life there, in my 100 dives i've been to amazing dive sites but nothing comes close to komodo.. diving with 25+ huge mantas on one dive, the white tips are huge compared to anywhere else i've seen, stunning coral gardens, dolphins and whales passing the boat.. the best night dive arguably anywhere.. pygmy seahorses by the dozen ghostpipe fish the list goes on and on...

i had the same obviously you can't get a exact measurement but my dive guide had been there 13 years, so must have reasonable judgement.

just so you know i'm not implying we did drifts in 8 knots we just got caught by some wicked currents for a few seconds whilst diving the walls on the south side

Thanks for your response. I did some drift diving in Cozumel. I have been to Sea of Cortez (northern section), Belize, Bonnaire and Kona. I have been in some ocean waves and reasonably strong currents, and did some safety stops in blue water but I am far from a pro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom