Komodo Live Aboard Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eaglerayjoel

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

We just got back from doing an 8 day live aboard in the Komodo and Flores region. It was the best diving I have ever done.

We chose the MV Tarata MV Tarata - Grand Komodo Indonesia Liveaboard with the Grand Komodo Dive fleet. I couldn't find much info on this company before we left. Most places in Indonesia want money up front. I paid over $6000 US up front for 4 of us, and was a little worried, until Tri met us at the Bali airport and handed us our air tickes (included in price) to Labuan bajo on Flores. At the airport in Flores, Gusti, our dive master, met us as we left the front door. They took us in nice vehicles to the boat. It was a great boat built for 12. We found out we had the boat to our family of 4.

Food was great and plentiful...mostly indonesia style. The crew would usually catch a fish while moving to a new site, and serve it grilled and as sashimi. The rooms were small, but each had AC and a small toilet/shower attached. Beer and soft drinks were extra...about $2 each.

We did 4 dives a day....3 day dives and 1 night dive 7:30 AM, 11AM, 3PM, and 7PM. We got in about 28 dives. You just put on your gear, step into a dingy and head off to a dive site. We motored about 7-10 miles a day...and hit some remote sites.

I have to say this is the most beautiful diving I have done. Before this trip, my favorite was half moon Cay in Belize. We were able to dive with Manta rays on dive...they approached us and swam over us in about 30 feet of water the entire dive. Dives lasted 1 hour each. What they say about the currents is true. We did a drift dive in a 4 knot current. One dive, they took us to a small island that had currents ripping around it looking live raging rivers. They dive on the back side away from the currents. If you get caught, the down currents can take you to 180 feet in a few seconds.

We hit some of the famous sites like Castle Rock, and Crystal Bay...saw lots of sharks. One dive at Crystal, we were able to dive below dophins for about 1/2 hour...they even came down to look at us.

Coral is varied and beautiful. Fish are amazing. Where Cozumel has maybe 4 kinds of Butterfly fish, Komodo area has maybe 20 kinds....same with all the other kinds of fish.
Was great to see cuddlefish up close also.

Gusti, the divemaster was awesome. Took good care of us. We usually had another dive master also, like Nelson. The crew were very attentive and gracious. Great people...I would highly recommend this company.

Here are links to some photos I took so you can see what it looks like.

I don't post that much, so they won't let me post the URL to the photos right now. I'll post some more and attach the photo URL soon.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions. I want to do the Raja Ampat live aboard some day, as Gusti told us it is even more beautiful.

i also did a liveaboard with grand komodo this year and it was amazing... gusti and wilson are two great guys and the rest of the staff were brilliant..

the one thing i would say is i would like to see the diveguides taken care of a little better by the office/owners.. some of there personal dive equipment is very old and needs replacing, they told me they can't afford new equip so it's up to the office.

did you notice if wilson had new fins and bcd? his jacket wouldn't fully inflate, when we were waiting in big waves for the zodiac he was struggling to keep his head above water!!!!! his fins were battered aswel.

two really talented dive guides that need more respect from the office in my opinion, they are very valuable assets!!

glad you also enjoyed your trip, would like to see your pics. i can't wait to go back.

Eaglerayjoel, Thanks for the trip report! Will look fwd to the photos. Have looked at the Grand Komodo website, think their prices are do-able... Will kiv them for RA next year & they have the Dive Lodge... :wink:

Hey, Big_fish63, I think u should write to the mgmt about it, the guides' worn out gear makes the mgmt looks bad... Agreed that the guides' pay is really quite low in this part of the world, they really can't afford to buy their own gear. But most mgmt do pay for their courses.

Great report! It sounds like manta ray sightings are guaranteed in that area. We're diving with the same guys but on a different boat instead. Can't wait to see your pictures. :)

they guarantee manta sightings. well for us they did. gusti 100% guaranteed us mantas and he didnt dissappoint 33 and a ghost manta!!

are you going on the nusa tara fuggler??

they guarantee manta sightings. well for us they did. gusti 100% guaranteed us mantas and he didnt dissappoint 33 and a ghost manta!!

are you going on the nusa tara fuggler??

Yes, nusa tara in November.

Every Komodo report I've read here on SB mentioned mantas. I've done the manta night dive in Hawaii's Big Island but it would be way cooler to see them "unstaged".

We brought a bag of scuba gear over with us from Bali...and I think Wilson got it. He was doing fine. He is a great diver, and gave me some assistance on a really bad current dive, in terms of staying back with him, and give up trying to catch our group. Turned a stressful situation into a good dive.

Well...no sightings are gauranteed, but I think there is a high chance of seeing the mantas. We were diving with them for an hour off and on.

Back
Top Bottom