Komodo, Bali Etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a1parrothead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Komodo/Bali area as a suprise gift for our daughters graduation. I have alot of questions, such as: Best liveaboard?, Best airfare from LAX, Dive sites, and any pearls of wisdom. Please let me know your thoughts. I take it I want to dive the park and do the land tour to see the dragons (Don't I)? I need all the info I can get!
Thanks, Jeff

a1parrothead:
Hello everyone,
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Komodo/Bali area as a suprise gift for our daughters graduation. I have alot of questions, such as: Best liveaboard?, Best airfare from LAX, Dive sites, and any pearls of wisdom. Please let me know your thoughts. I take it I want to dive the park and do the land tour to see the dragons (Don't I)? I need all the info I can get!
Thanks, Jeff

We did a 7 day liveaboard on the Kararu Sea Safari III last September. It was a great boat, great staff, great trip. They are definitely a luxury boat - 19 crew members, really nice cabins, really good food, etc. There are several Sea Safari boats, all run by different operators so I can only comment on ours. We got a great fare to Bali. I heard that Cathay Pacific is currently running a fall special for $599 RT from LAX. We also stayed five extra days in Bali after the liveaboard and dove in Tulamben which was a fun add-on.

The reefs around Komodo and Rinja are unbelievable - the only problem is that then you just want to go back there and afterward, the Caribbean just isn't the same. They try to plan the dives so that you don't get caught in really rough currents but you should be aware that although the water temps on the way to Komodo are warm, once you get there, the temps are in the 70-76F range so bring extra rubber and a hood. Pretty much all of the operators include a morning land tour on the island of Komodo to see the dragons. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back. If you can afford it, go for the 10-11 day trip as you will not want to leave once you are there.

Back
Top Bottom