Kohala Coast Diving vs Kona Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honokohau Harbor (dog beach) is also a great dive.

Also an ankle buster. At least for us old, clumsy types. Mahukona on the other hand, has a nice, easy ladder entry, and is a very nice dive. Puako “end of road” is another nice, relatively easy entry.

@jonhall - could you please tell me what the process is to get back on the RIB after the dive with Blue Wilderness? They might be off my list because of no shade during the surface interval (LOTS of sunscreen would be needed), but still a consideration. Thanks!

Spent ten days in Kona Nov. 28th-Dec 7th and made shore dives at Puako, Harbor Beach, mile marker four, Hookena, Place of Refuge, and Kona Paradise; fifteen dives over the eight days we could actually dive. One really can't go wrong with shore diving The Big Island.

@jonhall - could you please tell me what the process is to get back on the RIB after the dive with Blue Wilderness? They might be off my list because of no shade during the surface interval (LOTS of sunscreen would be needed), but still a consideration. Thanks!

I'm so disappointed in myself - I usually take a picture of every boat I go out on, but I couldn't find one - so I looked it up online to refresh my memory.

I'll start with before you get on the boat, knowing your concern with the sun. There is a big parking space at the boat ramp. I don't remember being able to park in any shade. As you will probably have to wait around while everything is getting prepped, there is some shade from trees that can be found on the shore right by the ramp.

There is a canopy (about ½ boat length) over the boat captain toward the stern end of the boat - they might allow you to stand near the back behind him/her to get some shade, but you're correct - the rest of the RIB the other ½ length is out in the open which is where divers sit. Although dive sites are a short ride from the boat ramp, the boat doesn't return to the ramp and the surface interval will be anywhere from 45-55 minutes.

After surfacing divers swim to the side of the RIB. There is a rope that can be held. Divers remove BC's and fins, crew reaches down to you to take them, then swim to the ladder at the back. FYI, the process for getting in is jumping/sliding (really however you want) in with fins and mask, they will unclip and reach your BC (which they clip to the rope on the side of the RIB) to you to put on. For some reason, I found that I really liked that method - and the water was pretty calm everyday we dove.

Check out Waikoloa Coast Divers. I worked with them from 2006-2008. Great crew, nice boat (42 ft. Delta) and killer sites.
Enjoy.
Aloha,
Swenny

Have any of you flown onto the Big Island recently? I'm seeing something that says they choose 25% of people at random for an extra test upon arrival. Is this actually happening? With the false positives out there, I'm seriously considering canceling. They're really not doing themselves any favors.

Have any of you flown onto the Big Island recently? I'm seeing something that says they choose 25% of people at random for an extra test upon arrival. Is this actually happening? With the false positives out there, I'm seriously considering canceling. They're really not doing themselves any favors.
We flew in on 2/6 and *everyone* had to get a nasal swab test before leaving the airport, regardless of if you got received a negative test result before flying. "You'll get a call if it comes up positive" is what we were told. Didn't get a call, all good here. From my research false positives are much rarer than false negatives, for what it's worth.

I flew to the Big Island on 2/17 and they were testing everybody it was a little confusing as to what was going on at the airport.

State of Hawaii - Safe Travels is a website you will need to set up an account on and upload your COVID test results to and complete a medical questionnaire 24 hours prior to your departure to Hawaii. Also if you are transferring planes in Hawaii you have to set up two trips and get two QR codes this is not explained very well on the site. So for example I have to set up one for Oakland to Honolulu and then one from Honolulu to Kona I received a QR code for each.

I’ve done it twice now. There was a hiccup with the Safe Travels website this last time ‘round but it got sorted at the airport prior to boarding. Keep the pdf test result on your smart phone and carry a printed copy of it in your carry-on. I recommend checking at the Safe Travels set-up at the airport before your flight.

Back
Top Bottom