koh tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slipslop:
:10: i want to go to Koh Tao in february, can anyone tell me the best way to get there from bangkok? thanks
Sure,

Go to the Kawarsarn Road Street (where all the Backpackers are).
Every tour agency will sell you bus tickets to Ko tao - it includes a bus rides of a few hours (can't remmber how much) and a ferry to ko tao.

Yeh, you could do that, or you could do what those we locals do...take the train. I feel this is much more relaxing than being cooped-up in a mini-van or bus for 8 hours. The best train is the overnite as you can catch a few winks on the way down. Just go down any travel agent (or go to Hua Lomphong station directly) and book a ticket to Chumphon. You want a 1st or 2nd class SLEEPER berth. You want a train that arrives before or around 6:00 a.m. At Chumphon train station there are several ferry ticket booths where you can buy tickets for Ko Tao. If I recall correctly, all the boats for Ko Tao by 8:30 a.m. If you arrive after this time, you will have to overnite in Chumphon till the next morning. The ticket includes the transportation to the ferry dock.

slipslop:
:10: i want to go to Koh Tao in february, can anyone tell me the best way to get there from bangkok? thanks

I'd second what JohnnyB suggests, however, if you are in a real hurry, you could fly from Bangkok to Koh Samui and fetch a speedboat from there. That's obviously more expensive than other options, but probably the fastest you could get there.

Blox:
fly from Bangkok to Koh Samui and fetch a speedboat from there/QUOTE]

Yes, flying to either Samui or Surat Thani and then ferry/speed boat to Tao is possible. However, often the flight schedules to not mesh well with the boat schedules so it ends taking the same time (or even longer) to get to Tao, as well as costing alot more.

With the train (or bus), you can leave Bangkok in the evening, read, eat, talk and meet folks on the train, catch a few winks (pop that Xanax) get on the boat and be in Tao by around 10:30 the next morning. The cost is around $25 total!!! (if in a 2nd class sleeper).

Back
Top Bottom