Koh Tao project "Buoyancy World"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think its a good idea given the amount of people rocking up in Tao and Phuket and going from DSD to OW as part of their holiday. Keep them off the reefs and in a area that whilst looking kitsch and plasticky (is that a word?..well, is now) negates the amount of damage that can be done. If its sandy and basically devoid of most things aquatic then its a lot better place to put some skills like buoyancy control to the test before venturing onto reef areas. Ive seen similar things done on a very small scale in Bora Bora (Tiki gardens snorkelling site) that hasnt done anything to improve the marine environment but is keeping those unfamiliar with how to behave in the water in one manageable spot. It wouldnt be somewhere I would go to dive, but I do think given the volume of tourists with different cultural values its a good idea. Good luck with it.

It looks great. Judging from the pics of weird marine life that have appeared on the site, it really worked.

Crocodile fish on Koh Tao? Not in my day.

I normally wouldn't bother with a non wreck shallow dive, but I can't wait to have a look.

Well done to everyone involved!

It looks great. Judging from the pics of weird marine life that have appeared on the site, it really worked.

Crocodile fish on Koh Tao? Not in my day.

I normally wouldn't bother with a non wreck shallow dive, but I can't wait to have a look.

Well done to everyone involved!

The only pic's I have seen were when the project was first initiated around 3-4 years ago, I would be interested to see what it looks like now, any chance you could point me in the direction of some more recent snaps?

Back
Top Bottom