Koh Phi Phi vs. Koh Lanta for Overall Diving Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bnelsonpublic

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I will be spending a week in mid November on the west coast of Thailand before heading to Cambodia. We are both divers (me with about 170 dives, my wife about 40-50). We are debating between Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta. We prefer a less crowded/cheaper topside scene, but also don't want to give up the better diving experiences. We also don't want to spend our entire day travelling via boat to far off dive sites. Definintly want options for chill restaurants/bars, but not looking to party till 3am. We spent a week on Koh Tao about 3 years ago and enjoyed the vibe of the topside activities. I wasn't super impressed by the diving on Koh Tao as it was very crowded. However, it was a great place for my wife to get certified.

I've heard Phi Phi can be very loud/crowded at night and more expensive than other islands in terms of food/hotels. However, appears to be a better base location for overall diving experience.

Any advice is appreciated!

If you prefer less crowded topside scene then definitely Phi Phi is not the place for you, Lanta sounds much more to your liking, and is also closer to sites at Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Ko Ha Yai. Phi Phi is obviously more convenient for the Phi Phi dive sites and Shark Point.

You might also want to look at Klong Muang and Tubkaak in Krabi (avoid Ao Nang and Railay if you don't like crowds) and you also have the option of diving by Speedboat to all the sites mentioned, plus the local islands in Ao Phra Nang, the speedboat tours to Phi Phi and Shark Point leave at 8:00 and return around 1:30- 2:00 pm, big boats around 3 hours later..

Tuubkaak is very nice, quite and laidback with some top quality hotels, but no night life outside of the resorts at all.

Klong Muang has all levels from Guest houses (Check Inn Resort offers some great deals) to 5-Star resorts like the Sheraton, and also a few places to hang out, chill and sip a cocktail or two. (Sabai Ba Bar has arguably the best sunset viewing location in Krabi).

Best of luck

Thanks for the suggestions Chrisinthailand. I will check those places out. Regarding Phi Phi, is it the kind of island where you can choose to be around more of the crowds when you want. Meaning, is there a central part of the island where most of the noise/crowds are, but if you stay outside of it you can avoid and just go in for a while if you want to? Maybe a vague question, but appreciate any input.

Thanks for the suggestions Chrisinthailand. I will check those places out. Regarding Phi Phi, is it the kind of island where you can choose to be around more of the crowds when you want. Meaning, is there a central part of the island where most of the noise/crowds are, but if you stay outside of it you can avoid and just go in for a while if you want to? Maybe a vague question, but appreciate any input.
Yes, the activities are very much located in the central part of the island. Go to a hotel 15 minutes away and you're within walking distance but in a quiet and relaxed area.

Ko Lanta is the much better place to stay -very quiet - not crowded - normal prices - more space for your holidays
Accommodation from very cheap up to very luxery - everything is possible !
Did you ever dived at Hin Daeng & Hin Muang ? Best chance in the south to see the realy big fishes :)
From Ko Lanta the big boats needs about 3 hours 45 Minutes to go there .
We set up a new boat 2012 - Flying Manta starts from the Kantiang Bay (South) of Ko Lanta.
Cruise to Hin Daeng/ Hin Muang in just 55 Minutes ! Maximum 8 divers on the boat ! Isn't that great ?

Or maybe you want join us on a two day/ one night/ 6 dives/ mini liveaboard starting direct from Ko Lanta !
This trip we do every week !!
2 Day Trip South: 2 Days/ 1 Night - 6 Dives
Start & End at Ko Lanta
1. Day: Ko Ha Islands/ 2 Day dives & 1 Night dive
2. Day: Hin Daeng - Hin Muang - Ko Ha / 3 Day dives

There are a few dive centres on Lanta that offer speedboat trips out to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang... Also take a look at Lanta Diver, Scubafish and Dive & Relax...

Im after the same info. I will be based in thailand for almost 6 months and i have a non diver friend in Phi Phi so was looking at either basing myself in phi phi or lanta. Which would be better for a more long term base in regards to cost, topside activities and obviously i want to do as much diving as possible.

I'd get crazy living on Phi Phi for 6 months, the island is simply too small IMO. Lanta would be better with more things to do. But for access to diving Phi Phi would be better: more divesites close by, and also sites like Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa within reach.

I agree with the last post. Depends on your requirements, Koh Lanta would be my choice if you are spending any length of time. Any more than a few days on Phi Phi would be too long for me.

We haven't stayed on Phi Phi while diving but stayed twice in Kantiang Bay on Ko Lanta. I really cannot recommend Scubafish highly enough. The standard of care and service was outstanding , think fresh chocolate croissants on the early boat ! Hin Muang and Hin Daeng are a fair way away , but the diving there is spectacular and in the right season there is an extremely good chance of seeing manta rays. There are also nearer sites which are lovely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom