Koa Tao in May - diving and accomodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thrills

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looks like I'm heading to Thailand at the end of the month, last minute trip with a friend.

he knows a dive master at Big Blue Diving, so we'll likely be diving through them.. but i'm looking for suggestions on sites to go to and stay away from, other outfits that might be better to dive with, places to stay or stay away from!

etc etc..

Diving and non-diving related info would be awesome..

Thanks

Hi Thrills,

Knowing a local DM is great. I like Chumpon Pinnacle and Sail Rock. I am sure he/she will direct you as to the best sites for the time you will be there. As for equipment, that is a personal preference of course, but I have seen some pretty bad gear a times. Think about bringing your "life support" regs along at a bare minimum. If you plan on doing a lot of diving bringing your own complete kit may be worth it. I sometimes forgo the BCD but bring everything else when traveling.

If you are diving with an outfit, they will more than likely offer a package with accommodations.

If you aren't going to be doing an extensive amount of travelling (ie moving between locations), you can take your equipment. But if you can't be bothered, the shops on KT cater to the backpacker and new student who have no equipment so you should have no problems hiring gear. Most dive prices are inclusive of equipment hire.

If you want to look into other resorts/diveshops, have a search. If it's a smaller outfit you want, look at Scuba Junction (SCUBA Diving Koh Tao Thailand | Scuba Junction).

Useful bits I learned from my time on KT: take your own sunblock and insect repellent and get a bungalow with a mosquito screen.

Have fun.

Hi Thrills,
Having lived here for nearly 4 years now May is generally a quiet month for tourists, you should have no problem finding accomodation and the boats/sites will not be that busy. Alot of our business on the island comes just after the famous full moon party on neighbouring Koh Phangan. Mays full moon party is on the 9th so if you want it quiet avoid the 10 days or so after that.
Most dive shops do the deeper dive sites (Chumpon Pinnacle, Southwest Pinnacles, Sail rock is a full day trip) in the morning and shallower dive sites in the afternoon. Koh Tao is very easy diving , no mental currents etc and most sites are 30Metres and above .
All dive shops will offer discounts of a couple of hundred baht per dive if you bring your own kit, at least bring your own mask/boots/fins if you cant be bothered lugging it all with you.
Anymore questions feel free to ask
Enjoy

Plenty of accomodation available, would wait to get there most probably a better deal as well,
be careful of the scooters, take photos before you hire, they will hit you up for every scratch they can find even if it was there before you bought it. The roads are not the best and have seen some very nasty results from accidents involving drunk riding. Do not be scard to bargain, things are tight at the moment, not the best season.

Be careful of the late night taxi rides, a number of divemaster trainees have been held up by the taxi driver for their cash with a knife, it is not uncommon, just be aware. Mostly it is very safe and the people very friendly, especially if you have money to spend.

If you need gear, buy there.

ALso be careful in Bangkok. The trouble is NOT going to go away anytime soon. Tonight our Government has told tourists going to Thailand to change their plans. Maybe a bit of on overreaction for yourself as Koh Tao is fairly isolated to that kind of trouble, just be aware, the trouble could start to move to other areas.

If you need a moped while you are here get it from Johnny Chopsticks in Mae Haad, if you do crash it he will charge you the same price for parts as he pays. not the vastly over inflated prices on the rest of the island, I recommend him to everyone.

awesome, thanks for the tips guys.. i am a little concerned with the issues that are going on there right now, but i think we'll just crash for the night and take a flight down south the following day.. hopefully nothing to worry about. we dont really plan on traveling too much.. we'll do the full moon party and see what else is happening around the islands..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom