Ko Phi Phi challenge ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefwreck

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings.
I may be going to Thailand in January and hope to squeeze in about 5 days diving. I did Phuket (including Similans) earlier this year so I'm looking to go somewhere else. Currently I'm leaning towards Phi Phi. I'm looking for dive op. and accommodation suggestions.

I'm going with my non-diving spouse, so a liveaboard is out. In terms of dive operator, I'm looking for one that is uw photography "friendly", and offers not only full, but also half-day trips as well so that I can spend quality time topside with my spouse. Any dive operator recommendations that can fit the bill ?

In terms of accommodation, price is always an issue, of course, but not the main concern. We are looking for something clean and comfortable, beside a quiet, clean, sandy beach, near the dive op., as well as good Thai food ! A pool would also be nice.

I know I'm asking for a lot (too much?), but I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

Cheers.

I spend a few days on PP in 1998 and did my diving with Palm Beach Divers. They are - like most dive centers in PP - a small outfit on the beach. I would recommend you bring your own equipment!

I only did 2 dives, but they were very pretty: lots of coral walls, barracuda, lionfish, moray eels etc.

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the hotel we stayed in.
:snorkel:ScubaRon:eek:

Unless you go out in a long tail, you're probably going to end up leaving at 9:00am and coming back at 2:00. Most shops have this schedule. Also, the island has a price freeze so all the shops charge exactly the same thing but the quality of service is very different. Obviously the longtails won't have things like oxygen and stuff like that. If you don't care about that stuff, go with those guys. You'll get a more tailored dive.

Otherwise, I'd go with Moskito. I did my dm with them and they are really a great group. They will try to place the photographers together so you don't get left behind. Check first though. If they have a large group you can always go to another shop. White and Blue has friendly staff and I enjoyed the few dives I did with PP Scuba. They have nice boats and friendly staff also.

Not sure about the prices, PP is expensive even for teh backpackers places. Maybe Charlie's is what you're looking for. It's on the beach, has great thai and western food. No matter where you are, you'll be near the beach. I know it's not the most expensive place on the island but it certainly isn't the cheapest.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you know if Palm Beach Divers has a webpage or e-mail address, ScubaRon ? I did a quick search on the web and found nothing.

Jiveturkey,
Thanks as well. Given that I cherish my photo equipment, I think longtails are out. I'd hate to see my camera accidentally crushed under an errant tank.:)
While I'm still open to other suggestions, Moskito, looks interesting. I found their website. It seems they offer single dive as well as two-dive day trips. I sent them a message asking about the rough schedule of the single dives, but no reply so far. Any insight ? (BTW, nice Nfld. avatar).

When I'm not diving, is there any half decent snorkelling from any of the beaches on Phi Phi ?

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom