Kit rental Riviera Maya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirhc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Scubaboard!
My GF and I are heading to the Riviera Maya over the Christmas holiday. I'm PADI MSDT and have started her OW certification, which we would like to finish during the holiday (only the open water dives remain).
Does anyone know a shop that would rent a SCUBA kit for her and tanks and weights anywhere between Cancun and Tulum?
Thanks

Playa del Carmen you can easily get rental kit from dozens of shops, some will rent instructor discounted seats on the boat as well.

My favorite for a more peaceful setting would be:
Just north of tulum, Casa cenote is a nice place for OW dive training with shop across the dirt road who will rent gear. Plenty of images of it online. Shallow though.

Cameron

Hi northernone,
Thanks for the reply.
Do you happen to have the name/contact of any of them?
I've emailed probably 50 or 60 shops listed by google. They all have said that they don't rent to customers who are not doing classes or tours with them.
Thanks

hi johanan,
thanks for the reply.
I have already sent them an email, but have not yet heard back.
thanks again

edit:
i have since heard back from Lanny @ https://www.underworldtulum.com and they do indeed rent equipment.

We dive in Cozumel, which would be an hour ferry ride away, but on our last trip we ventured over to the mainland for Cenote diving with Cenote Xperience. I can't say enough about their shop. Great service and communication all around. (I wrote a full review in the Cozumel section)I believe they can arrange any scuba trip you want.

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Safe travels, if you have never dove cenotes, it's an exciting alternative to reef diving.

Merry Christmas and safe travels,
Jay

Hi Jayfarmlaw,
Thanks for your reply.
I will send them an email.

Edit: CenoteXperience only rents gear to guided clients or clients taking classes

If anyone else wants to rent gear between Cancun and Tulum, I'll include my findings and methods here.

In pursuit of finding a shop that would rent gear, I sent emails to many shops. I was primarily interested in the area between Cancun and Tulum for Dec 23, 2018 - Jan 1, 2019. Things may change in the future. To find shops, I searched on Google for "<location> SCUBA shop".

Most shops below provide gear for clients who are interested in committing to either guided tours or other classes and those shops tried to up-sell us on such services. We were not interested in these other services.

The only shop that would rent gear without hassles was:
UnderworldTulum

The following are the shops that I contacted that would NOT rent gear (this is in no way a reflection of their other services, only that they would not rent gear to an insured, certified PADI instructor):
Akumal Dive Center
Fantasea Dive
Diversity Diving
Dive Cenotes Mexico
MexiDivers
ScubaCancun
Protec Dive Center
Blue Life
Aquanauts Dive Adventures
Solo Buceo
Akumal Dive Shop
Aha Scuba Diving
DIR Mexico
Divers Underground
Cancun Diving
Deep Life Divers
Divers Point
ScubaMobile
Akumal Bay Diving
Cancun Scuba Center
Tankah Divers
Infinity 2 Diving
Scorpio Divers
Always Diving
Beyond Diving
Aqua Excursions
Abyss Dive Center
Wet Set
Squalo Cancun Divers
Reef Quest Divers Mexico
Me Dive Center
Playa Scuba
Dive Shop Mexico
Mexico Blue Dream
Alberto's Diving
Wet Owls
Koox Diving
Dive With Ruben
Om Delfin
Quelonian Divers
Seth Dive
Third Dimension Diving
Scuba Total
Tulum Scuba
Scuba Freds
CenoteExperience
Zen Diving

The following are the shops that I contacted that DID NOT RESPOND at all:
Dive Tulum
Dive Cenotes Mexico
Bahia Divers
Scuba Diving Cancun
Cancun Scuba
Cancun Diving Adventures
Caribbean Connection
Diving Cancun
Scuba Playa
Scuba Diving In Playa Del Carmen
Marina Dive Center

In case anyone has interest in Puerto Morelos National Park, I'll attach a PDF of the rules governing (in Spanish) the park and a link to where I found them as well as a link to downloadable KML showing the boundaries of the park. The rules and links may change in the future, of course.

http://www.conanp.gob.mx/que_hacemos/pdf/programas_manejo/puerto_morelos.pdf
Programas de Manejo de las Áreas Naturales Protegidas de México | Comisión Nacional de Áreas Naturales Protegidas | Gobierno | gob.mx
Arrecife de Puerto Morelos | Protected Planet

Attachments

• puerto_morelos.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 163
Lot of work to find the one shop that would say yes. Thanks for posting the list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom