Kīhei man drowns at Maui beach - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
https://mauinow.com/2019/01/23/scuba-diver-dies-in-apparent-drowning-at-wailea/
A 69-year-old Kīhei man died in an apparent drowning in Wailea on Tuesday night, fire officials said.

The incident was reported at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019 at Ulua Beach in South Maui.

According to department reports, firefighters were called to the north end of the beach for reports of a diver in the water yelling for help. Upon arrival on scene, fire personnel located a male scuba diver who made his way to shore to get help for his dive partner.

Maui Fire Services Chief Rylan Yatsushiro said the diver reported that his partner was having difficulty and became unresponsive while in the water. He made several attempts at keeping him afloat, but was unsuccessful, said FSC Yatsushiro.

Two fire department personnel entered the water to begin searching for the submerged victim while another crew was already in the process of launching a jetski to assist.

Fire department rescue swimmers were able to make contact with other scuba divers in the vicinity who were able to assist with locating the victim, and help bring him to the surface, said FSC Yatsushiro.

Department officials say the fire department jetski unit was able to quickly bring him to shore for awaiting Medics and Fire personnel.

Despite lifesaving efforts, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

Engine and Ladder 14 from Wailea, and Rescue 10 from Kahului responded.

Diver's name was released: Officials identify man who died while diving in waters off Wailea

It does say SCUBA diving, so I have to wonder why the buddy didn't ditch his weights and/or inflate his BC? I'm guessing, but maybe the surviving buddy did not know how to ditch the deceased's weights. Different BCs are different, and that's something I like to check on buddy check, along with inflation controls.

It does say SCUBA diving, so I have to wonder why the buddy didn't ditch his weights and/or inflate his BC? I'm guessing, but maybe the surviving buddy did not know how to ditch the deceased's weights. Different BCs are different, and that's something I like to check on buddy check, along with inflation controls.
If that’s of any interest, BSAC buddy check involves you showing how to release each clip on your harness/vest and how to release the weights.

For example if you have a jacket BCD, you’ll hold the chest clip and say something like press to indicate you press to release. Then show the shoulder straps which you pull to release then point at the stomach belt and say press.

You would finish by showing your weight belt and say pull.

I don’t think PADI does it for example. (Maybe I forgot)

Reactions: yle

Depends on the instructor.

One thing I do like about club diving is that they have the time, people, and structure to develop divers after the class is over, continually reinforcing the training.

Bob

I was diving one beach over the same night and the word is the man who drowned was very panicked and his buddy was unable to inflate BC (potentially blown BC bladder) and couldn’t get close enough to ditch his weights.

My PADI instructor made it a point for buddy checks to actually inflate buddy’s BC to be familiar with how it differs from your own. As well as removing weights on surface before entering water.

I was diving one beach over the same night and the word is the man who drowned was very panicked and his buddy was unable to inflate BC (potentially blown BC bladder) and couldn’t get close enough to ditch his weights.

It seems that if one couldn't get close enough to drop the weights, it would also be problematic to grab and operate the inflator properly. Not only that, but if the diver is combative the BC hose could be compromised.

I feel bad for both of them.

Bob

I'm guessing, but maybe the surviving buddy did not know how to ditch the deceased's weights. Different BCs are different, and that's something I like to check on buddy check, along with inflation controls.

Totally agree. I always make sure I know my buddy's BCD and they know mine, especially since I have the i3 inflator. Gotta always do a buddy check.

If that’s of any interest, BSAC buddy check involves you showing how to release each clip on your harness/vest and how to release the weights.

For example if you have a jacket BCD, you’ll hold the chest clip and say something like press to indicate you press to release. Then show the shoulder straps which you pull to release then point at the stomach belt and say press.

You would finish by showing your weight belt and say pull.

Maybe not delivered exactly the same way, but PADI teaches BWRAF, Begin With Review And Friend.

BCD
Weights
Releases
Air
Final Check

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom