Kids with access to dive gear with no supervision (hypoxic gasses / ccr,s etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex Ouroboros

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ok so this was just something I was thinking about the other day while I cleaned my gear after returning from a dive, I’m not a parent yet but I am married so realistically it’s a situation that may not be to far away,
What do people do and how do you handle kids around dive gear in the home? My rebreathers live in the house and if I’m heading for some wrecks at the weekend I usually have my rig set up a day or two prior to just load up, remembering what I was like as a kid, it got me thinking, a lot of my gasses are hypoxic and if a young kid was in the house I’d want the gear well out of reach but do people really lock up their hypoxic gasses etc? Even if they played with just some of the stuff it could be quite serious. And as for the stuff in my gas shed,,, 🫣.

Any thoughts?

Educate them early. The BBQ is hot.

It's not enough to say don't touch (forbidden fruit), but after understanding the why, my son's curiosity was fairly well satisfied.

Initially (early crawling and walking stage) you'll need to keep it out of reach because they will touch and you don't want gunky hands all over it. After that they begin to understand touch rules and you can train them to not touch it. Curiosity will drive them so allow it under supervision to the point that they find it boring. I did this with guns and it works great. If they ask, they can touch after it's been made safe and under my supervision. I'd they don't ask, they get a hand smack and timeout. Give them a supervised opportunity to do so without asking (leave it out and safe while watching) so they know there are consequences.

Keeping rug rats in a cage strikes me as being eminently more practical than wrapping the world in bubble wrap.
I was given my first knife around 5.
By 8 startling on - fueling vehicles, projectile weapons, operating and repairing lawn equipment. There was always a can or two of Petrol/Gasoline in the garage.

Keep the explosives, caustic cocktails, etc away from the toddler but they are unlikely to be opening your your valves and huffing at that stage. Unless your hypoxic mixes are insane, they have higher PPO2 than the open air in some major American cities or at least common tourist attractions: Altitude to Oxygen Chart. Without a reg worst case is they get woozy, plop on their butt and are breathing room air.

Bigger danger would be having a cylinder fall on them. Or the dresser, armoir, chest of drawers, TV etc, etc,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom