Khao Lak Accommodation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, hil71, you can get great daytrip diving out of Khao Lak by speedboat. Expect two dives per trip, and rather steep rates, though. Lanta is another good option, though the area around the Similans and Surins is quite a lot more extensive.

There's great diving in Khao Lak :) You can do daytrips to the Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, and then we have 3 really nice dive sites closer to shore - among those is also my favourite dive site: Boonsung Wreck. I'd be happy to dive there every day :)

I was just looking in to transport costs from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak. Looks like a taxi is in the neighborhood of 1600 baht. If that's the case, it would be much cheaper for me to stay in Patong (700 baht taxi) and let the dive company transport me from Patong to Thap Lamu for free.

Is that really the case, or am I missing something?

I reckon booking holidays pre-internet was easier - you took more risks and couldn't ask millions of questions to folks all over the world!!! Here I go again with yet another question..... Relaxing, beaches, nice bars and restaurants that you can get to easily and intermediate diving (my friend has only about 16 dives) as well as good value for money - nice rooms under 3000bht - where would you go - Lanta or Khao Lak?? Thanks again! Hilary

Hilary, I believe that Lanta offers more après-dive options than Khao Lak. After all, most of the diving from Khao Lak is by liveaboard, so there aren't all that many divers hanging around landside in comparison with Lanta, where there is just one liveaboard departing from the island and where most divers do daytrips, and so are around in the evenings for nice restaurants and bars.

Buadhai, a taxi from the airport to Khao Lak should not be more than 1200 Baht. At least I can arrange one for you at that price :wink: Peronally, I wouldn't stay in Patong if I was paid to do it - but that is my own, very personal taste :wink: Khao Lak is definitely more chilled.

Hilary, it's all a matter of taste. I liked Lanta a lot, but there's a reason I moved to Khao Lak and have stayed here 3 years of course :wink: The night life in Khao Lak has improved a lot the last year or two. We used to have one bar only worth mentioning - the Happy Snapper in Khao Lak. Now, there are several nice ones - especially in Bang Niang (Rusty Pelican, Gecko and the brand-new Green Pepper on the Beach). Really good restaurants as well, whether you want Thai or European. But like I said: it's all a matter of taste and preference :wink: Sorry, to not make your decision any easier at all :D

Have a wonderful day everyone
Karin

Buadhai, a taxi from the airport to Khao Lak should not be more than 1200 Baht. At least I can arrange one for you at that price.

Thank-you. I will get back to you on that kind offer.

Patong is what it is. I've been going there since the late 1970s, almost always for a single night in connection with some sort of dive trip. Now that I live up-country I kind of enjoy the craziness. Plus, there are a few things I can do there that just aren't possible here in Korat: drink draught Guiness, enjoy a decent brew pub, gawk at Russian tourists.

That said, for this trip I'd really like to see Khao Lak again.

Don't overlook Khao Lak's hidden gem - lake diving! This is totally overlooked my most visitors, but really fascinating and unique. Also the local dive sites are cheaper than heading out to the Similans.

As for staying in Patong and heading up for a daytrip...people do it, but it is 2 hours and the drivers are rarely driving rationally, so that is a matter to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom