Khao Lak Accommodation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
This coming November I'm going to be doing a live aboard that sails out of Thap Lamu. In the past I've always stayed in Patong, but thought I'd avoid the long van ride and give Khao Lak a try. I haven't been Khao Lak since the tsunami so I have no idea what it's like now. I've had a look at Agoda and a couple of other sites, but the choices seem rather bewildering.

I just need a simple place with air con and hot water. I don't need an ocean view or to be near the beach. WiFi would be nice, but not essential. I expect to spend 1500 baht per night, or less.

Suggestions based on personal experience or observation appreciated.

(BTW, I think my propensity to stay in Patong dates back to the days when Evi and Wolfgang's Short Cut would do pickup/drop-off at Patong Beach via long tail boat. Those days seem to be long gone.)

Hey there,

You'll probably be surprised to see Khao Lak again; it's changed a lot - some say for the worse, most say for the better. I'll let you be the judge of that :wink: We definitely still have stunning, almost empty beaches, nice hotels, good food, happy people - and A LOT less tourists than Patong, that's for sure :wink:

With your specifications, there are lots of places to choose. My favourites:

Here in Bang Niang (about 2 km further north, less touristy, empty beach, local market, excellent restaurants) it would be Baan Bamboo Resort. It's fairly new, it's absolutely beautiful, really nice bungalows, some of them with aircon, the place is fairly intimate and very clean. They did have WiFi last season if I remember (otherwise I'll let you use ours - the shop is 5 minutes away, and I'm very co-operative if you bring a beer or diet coke :wink: ) The beach is a 1,5 minute walk away. Prices 800 - 1500 Baht depending on season and type of bungalow. I don't think they have a website yet, but their email is baanbambooresort@gmail.com, phone number +66 (0)87 053 0032

Other nice places within your budget range in Bang Niang:

Tony Lodge (at the highway, less personality, but clean and nice rooms, 1000-1500 Baht)
Cousin Resort (really nice resort at the beach, very cozy as well - 1500-2500 Baht)
Ladda Resort (similar to Cousin)

In La Own, which is generally referred to as Khao Lak:

Banana Bungalows (clean, nice rooms, very nice people, 1,5 km from the beach, 1.000 Baht for an aircon room)
Phu Khao Lak (very nice resort, 1,5 km from the beach, nice rooms, 1200-2500 Baht)
Green Beach (nice resort on the beach, generally more expensive but out of peak season they often sell their rooms at 1200-1800 Baht)
Jerung Guesthouse (very nice rooms, but more of a standard non-personal place at the main street. 1100-1600 Baht)

Hope this helps you a bit - otherwise you're welcome to ask questions :wink:
Karin

Perfect. Thanks for taking the time to write.

My favorite inexpensive place there is Fasai Bungalows. Much less than Bht1,500 and exceeds your requirements with a/c, fan, wifi, international channel tv, simple, clean, friendly, in town but quiet area, easy walk to shops, bars, restaurants, taxis, etc. I stay there between trips whenever there is room.
Fasai Bungalow - Info - Hotels - Guesthouses - Room for Rent - Cheap Bungalows - Khaolak-Forum

I stayed there once. It was clean and pleasant. Next time, though, I'll stay nearer the beach.

Do you have spot picked out for "next time"?
I was going to ask Karin, and she has already answered, so just check up at post #2. Since I just drive up there, I don't have to worry about walking distance to food and entertainment, so it may be different for you. Zippsy's favorite is well-situated for proximity to a mini-mart, a couple of restaurants and the only real post-dive bar, The Happy Snapper.

Jumping onto this post - but is there any decent diving in Khao Lak (not liveaboard) or would we be better in Lanta? (Going end of November - international flights booked, just trying to decided where to go once we get there!) Many thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom