Khao Lak, a building site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buksida

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of spending a week in Khao Lak/Bang Niang area in April with the hope of getting over to the Similans and possibly Richelieu Rock.

What is the area itself like, construction city? Wouldnt really like the idea of relaxing by the pool after a days diving with jack-hammers, band-saws and grinders screaming away all hours of the day.

Anyone been there recently?

I hate steel grinders. Had one near our office the last 3 days. My brain is shredded. Have not been to Khao Lak since last year. I imagine there is a lot of building going on. Would be nice to know...anyone? I might just drive through there next month, though no plans to stay.

In december the rebuilding was still going on, but the thing is that the place has suffer and the recovering will take time. MOre than the rebuilding. But if you Go on a live aboard 4 days ( Sea dragon divers are perfect) and dive part of the day when you are in khaolak you will not notice that to much. Departure liveaboard is in the late evening. You could arrive one day before, do some dives then live aboard. Return is around 5 PM, so sleep in khaolak and do the same kind of arrengments.

I drove through Khao Lak last week and there is still rebuilding going on. Dive shops seem to be back up and running and I'm sure you can easily find a nice place where there isn't construction going on. My general impression driving through was amazement as to how quickly they have built most of the structures back up since it was the hardest hit.

Would love to do the liveaboard but afraid its not an option since I'll be with the wife and baby. This is why I was wondering about the condition of the actual resort/town/beach.

I will be able to escape for a couple of day trips though :wink:

I am currently staying in Khao Lak, and my opinion is that there is no more noise from construction work here than the average noise from traffic anywhere else.

I can recommend Khao Lak Palm Hill resprt. No construction being done nearby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom