Keys in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure the locals will be chiming in here soon, but FWIW, I was there mid April last year. Bottom temps were consistently about 75F, even at 100' on the Spiegel Grove. Minimal surface chop (at least compared to what I'm used to off NC), but a little breezy. I can't remember the topside temps but I was comfortable in shorts and T-shirt.

Have fun,
Lilla

I am heading to the Keys the 12th of april to do 3 days of diving. What can i expect for water and air temps?

Thanks
Mid 70's water

Mid 70's to low 80's air

You can still experience a weak cold front that time of year making diving difficult; overall, April is a pretty good month in FL

Signed,

A Native

alrighty then looks like the dry suit will be going along. We are doing 8 dives in 3 days.

Thanks for the info:D

Hey forget the dry suit. :blinking: a lot of us "warm water weenies" :) do the springs in 3mm and they are 72 year round! :D

alrighty then looks like the dry suit will be going along. We are doing 8 dives in 3 days.

wow...I thought I was a WWW.....

My instructor last March in Key Largo showed up in a dry suit....kinda made me worry, but I was in a 5mm full and was nice and toasty.

Diving dry is overkill, the water will likely not be less than 75 - a 5mm wetsuit w/ a hood should more than suffice - but you know your cold threshold best.

Well my biggest concern is we are doing 4 dives in one day. Worried about getting cold by the last 2 dives. Morning i will most like be wet but by afternoon depending on how chilled i have gotten i may break out the dry rig.

I have feelings you know,calling me a weenie.........lol

You may want to call some local Ops, and see what they suggest for exposure protection. People are different, so what is comfortable for one, may not be for another. For most I think 5mm is more than adequate, and 3mm maybe enough.

I dove Coz in January a couple of years back, and with water temps from 75~78, I did four dives a day in a 3mm fullsuit, and was comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom