Key west fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
French woman dies snorkeling off the Keys

Posted-Friday, February 17, 2006 7:05 PM EST Email this story
Print this story

She becomes the 2nd dive-related death this year

A French woman on a snorkeling trip off Key West with her husband died Thursday, reports the Monroe County Sheriff's Office and U.S. Coast Guard.

According to witnesses aboard the charter boat Fury, 59-year-old Aral Favre and her husband were snorkeling at 1:30 p.m. when the incident occurred.

Her husband told Deputy John Underwood she surfaced once and said she was not feeling well, but he thought saltwater ingestion was the reason.

He said she continued snorkeling, then surfaced a second time and asked for help. Her husband then reportedly swam to the boat to get help and she was pulled aboard.

Deputy Becky Herrin said a visiting doctor and nurse aboard the boat began rescue efforts, a Coast Guard rescue boat met the Fury on the water and rescue efforts continued. Favre was pronounced dead by Key West Rescue once the boat reached shore, Herrin said. The victim's husband reported she had no medical conditions, had taken no medications and had not been drinking.

An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of her death.

Favre becomes the second dive fatality this year. David Hargis, 28, of Kansas City, Mo., died Feb. 4 while diving the Spiegel Grove in Upper Keys waters.

Condolences to the family

deeper thoughts:
Favre becomes the second dive fatality this year.
My condolences to the family as well. But I can't see how this is even close to being a "dive fatality".

The press...

second bad news I heard today, condolences, nature disaster.
May God bless upon the victims families and comfort there heart

Rick Inman:
My condolences to the family as well. But I can't see how this is even close to being a "dive fatality".

The press...

My condolences to the family as well.

Unfortunately with a press spin, someone keeling over from a heart attack while assembling their gear on the dock would even become a "diving related death"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom