Key Largo weather tomorrow and Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Coming down from up north and would love to dive tomorrow and Friday. The weather says 5-7 seas outside the reef and a little less inside the reef.

Before I bring all my gear down, should I even bother? Will it be tough rough to even enjoy myself out there? Would Lauderdale be any better?

Here is the latest forecast for the upper Keys:

Tonight...North winds 20 to 25 knots and gusty. Seas beyond the reef 5 to 7 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters very rough. Isolated showers.

Thursday...North to northeast winds near 20 knots and gusty. Seas beyond the reef 5 to 7 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters rough. Isolated showers.

Thursday Night...North to northeast winds near 20 knots. Seas beyond the reef 4 to 7 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters rough. Isolated showers.

Friday...North to northeast winds 15 to 20 knots...decreasing to near 15 knots by noon. Seas beyond the reef 4 to 6 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. nearshore waters choppy...becoming a moderate chop.

Saturday...North to northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas beyond the reef 2 to 4 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 1 to 2 feet. Nearshore waters a light to moderate chop.

Sunday...North winds near 10 knots. Seas beyond the reef 2 to 3 feet. Seas inside the reef around 1 foot. Nearshore waters a light chop.

If you can wait a few days, the weekend looks more promising - but the boats are unlikely to go out Thurs/Fri. Its winter; the cold fronts really mess up diving.

To answer your other question, re Ft Lauderdale:

Tonight...North northeast winds 18 to 23 knots. Near shore...seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet. In the gulf stream...seas 4 to 6 feet building to 6 to 8 feet. Dominant period 7 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Thursday...North northeast winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. Dominant period 7 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Thursday Night...North winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet near shore and up to 5 to 7 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a light chop.

Friday...North winds 12 to 15 knots near shore to north 13 to 18 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop.

Friday Night...North winds 11 to 14 knots near shore to north 13 to 18 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 4 to 6 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a light chop.

Saturday...North winds 12 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop.

Saturday Night And Sunday...North northwest winds 10 to 13 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop.

Actually, the Keys look better for the weekend - the same conditions as FLL are present in West Palm/Jupiter. Not a good couple of days for diving but again, the weather looks OK Sat/Sun in the Keys.

So if you can't do the Keys this weekend, it does not look like you are diving - this info is from the NOAA site.

I have been out with Horizon Divers, Key Largo, in 20+ knot winds and 5-8 ft seas when virtually all other dive ops have canceled their trips. Regardless, it is very likely that HD can find a nice dive site despite the topside conditions. They have a big, stable boat and most of the expected divers will have have canceled also, so you'll have lots of space. If you are like me, take your Bonine!

I have been out with Horizon Divers, Key Largo, in 20+ knot winds and 5-8 ft seas

8ft:shocked2:Why?

Gotta agree - just 'cause you can does not mean you should - remember, we are not commercial divers - this is supposted to be fun.

Few more miserable experiences than being out in 5-8' seas - plus, its going to be chilly - not to mention the surge those seas are likely to cause given the forecast...... Not for me!!

Hi Brian! Hope you're well. If it were me, I'd honestly stay away tomorrow. I think it's going to be nasty out there, I really do. If you have the option of coming another weekend, I would.

Take care!
Suzette
RRDC

I saw the front come in today. We were out at Davy/Crocker reef early and the sea was very calm. I started heading in at 3pm and it starting getting choppy

8ft:shocked2:Why?

It was a great trip! We went to a spot (I forget the exact site) out on the edge of the reef where the water movement was always from the same direction. We went way up and down, but not side to side. No nausea. The diving was good, not great, but well worth it. There was nothing particularly scary or dangerous about either the diving or the trip out and back. The Horizon Divers staff and boat can handle 5-8 ft seas. It's up to each diver to decide whether he or she can, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom