Key Largo Shallow Reef Report and Pics 7/28-7/29/2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IncreaseMyT

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So a little background my wife finally went and got certified this weekend, which we (the family) never ever thought would happen. In 14 years I had never seen her head under water before :coffee: literally.

Long story short she went snorkeling with us and then while the kids, 15 and 12 years old, got certified she went on the boat and snorkeled. Once we made it back home she decided she wanted to give it a go. We practiced in the pool for 2 weeks, probably 7 times before she even did her pool dives with the shop. So moral of the story, if your not a big water person, never say never. My kids on the other hand were like a fish in water, one day pool dives straight to checkout and did better than the adults.

So here we are the big day has arrived and she is nervous. Of course on the way out my daughter looks at me and says: "Wow dad the vis doesn't look good at all, mom is going to freak out", then went to the front of the boat to make sure mom knew the vis was not great, which is unusual every time we have been there before its top to bottom, even in 50 feet and sometimes 100.

Me and the kids gear up and jump in to wait for mom to come down the line. The current is strong, its rainy and there is a 1 foot chop and vis is maybe 25-35 feet. We jumped out of the side of the boat so we have a little bit of swim, so I tell the kids to drop down and follow me over. We make it and are waiting a couple of minutes and the kids are getting restless. I tell the kids lets go up, but on the way we are going to practice our ascent rate and watch the bar graph on our computer. The kids do really well, honestly better than I did on my 5th dive in terms of controlling ascent, they are like naturals, I think most kids are.

We go up and its raining, and mom is not looking good lol. She waves us off so we continue our dive and work on our trim. We came back about halfway through the dive to check on mom but we couldn't find her, did some more searching and picture taking and then practiced a horizontal safety stop on the way to the boat. They both did great, my only piece of advice to my daughter when we made it back to the boat was to swim during the stop to stay near the ladder of the boat so when its time to surface your already there.

On the boat talking to mom she is ready to go again but her friend that came with her is sitting this one out, she just wasn't ok with the bad vis. Mom completes the dive and the kids spent some time letting her know she looked like a seahorse in the water and how she needs to work on her "trim" :rofl3:

After a nights rest and no 3 hour drive mom and her friend are ready to dive in the morning and thankfully the vis was much better and there was less chop, although it did rain. Vis was about 60 feet now and they both were so much more comfortable in the water on the second day and actually enjoyed the dives. Once the trip was over they complained and said they wished the visibility was better on the first day, along with my kids, and then I told them honestly its probably a good thing it was not great conditions, it just gets you ready for what real diving will be like :)

Water was 87 degrees, I think we had a full moon the night before, the reef was crawling, pics below:

Stop stealing my camera!
HwWCap0.png

This one is always neutral, natural
HwWD6lw.png

Porgy?
HwWDHbL.png

Hogfish
HwWE2Vg.png

Moms friend wants to make sure the DM knows how much air she has :eyebrow:
HwWEosB.png

Good job mom! But yer reg is hanging, its ok its after a skill :popcorn:
HwWF6MW.png

Can you see it? Identify it? I have only seen a few and thats one of the bigger ones.
HwWFGWK.png

Thats ah Moray!
HwWGioJ.png

Nice trim kiddos.
HwWGXFO.png

Like a magician
HwWHmGw.png

Why does that safety sausage float?
HwWHJA0.png

Topside conditions not looking so hot.
HwWI1Bg.png

Not sure what this is? I see a lot of them.
HwWIyLv.png

Looking great kid.
HwWIW8X.png

Yellowtail sammich, bitesize.
HwWJkwnN.png

This one is already stealing my tricks
HwWK6g2.png

And he might pull it off.
HwWKoWy.png

Nice landing, watcha guys got under there?
HwWKNT0.png

Last edited:
You sir are lucky you are on a protected reef.
HwWLfhW.png

Vertically challenged :lock:
HwWLI0l.png

Son.... ur hoses r crossed.
HwWMacz.png

Just sipping air :cool:
HwWMBub.png

Not sure what this is?
HwWNi2n.png

Mangrove
HwWNwyS.png

Not sure what these are called either.
HwWNRbw.png

Not sure but it looked cool.
HwWOcJHu.png

Cleaning this place up a bit :D

HwWOyQA.png

One of my favorite pics from the weekend :dork2:
HwWOXgU.png

Impressive, son.
HwWPkUC.png

Trumpetfish
HwWPExi.png

Last edited:
Just a suggestion: get a basic fish ID book and spend time with the kids looking up all the fish you take pics of. It will add a new dimension to your picture taking, because you'll recognize what fish you've seen repeatedly... and which you haven't.

When we dive in KL (we were just there this past weekend, probably passed you on the reef!) my mom takes hundreds of pics of all sorts of fish. We spend the five hour plane ride home looking them up in the book.

Just a suggestion: get a basic fish ID book and spend time with the kids looking up all the fish you take pics of. It will add a new dimension to your picture taking, because you'll recognize what fish you've seen repeatedly... and which you haven't.

When we dive in KL (we were just there this past weekend, probably passed you on the reef!) my mom takes hundreds of pics of all sorts of fish. We spend the five hour plane ride home looking them up in the book.

Yea I am not good with the small reef fish, I normally dive here in the Gulf on wrecks and towers so I don't see a lot of them.

The bigger fish I am getting good with, one of the hardest things about spearfishing is being able to identify, size and then aim fast enough to get your catch. Thats why I wanted to see if people knew what kind of grouper that is :), it was a nice one and has taken me some time to differentiate them.

Last edited:
Your "can you see it" looks like a black grouper. Your "favorite pic" is a female stoplight parrotfish. And the "not sure what this is" is a french angelfish (and yeah, there's a lot of them in KL.)

... And the "not sure what this is" is a french angelfish (and yeah, there's a lot of them in KL.)
Actually- it looks more like a Grey Angel Fish...

Thanks for the identification.

That could be a black, in fact with just the picture alone it looks like it is with the black stripe on the caudal fin. It’s actually a gag grouper and a rather big one, only reason I know for sure is because I did see a black on a previous dive just didn’t have my camera and for some reason that day you could see the color of the fish really well. You can see that with the hogfish pic usually they will look much whiter.

I’ve often wondered why this was so when I was a fisherman, I would catch some of the same species of fish at the same place, some would be really dark and some would be much lighter. My grandma, who I grew up fishing with said the dark ones came out of deeper water recently.

So I wonder, with the full moon and the reef being much more alive than usual, did some of those fish show up recently to feed after coming from deeper water? And is this why snapper fishing, or any fishing, is usually better on a full moon?

This would be my guess

love the photos and the dive report...thanks for sharing.

So I was just going through some video and forgot about this, in the pic someone is rearranging what looks to be like a headstone for someone or something? I forgot to ask when we got back to the boat, sometimes I have the memory of a goldfish o_O We were at horseshoe reef. Does anyone know?

Hxcso2G.png

Back
Top Bottom