Key Largo in September . . . Whattaya Got?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmountai

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, my wife and I have reservations for a week of diving in Key Largo in late September. Want this to be a fun exercise and don't want anyone to over think it. Live in Idaho now, but dive the Caribbean each winter. We both have over 200 dives logged. We have a 8 "trips" planned (16 dives) with Rainbow Reef. What are the "Must Do Dives" we should schedule? I have Christ of the Abyss, only because I grew up in Central Florida and that was my very first dive in the Keys. What else? One down, 15 to go. One trip will be a night dive. Thanks in advance!

Molasses Reef, its a large reef with multiple dive sites. Spiegel Grove, Duane, City of Washington and Benwood wrecks, to name a few.

Make sure to watch for Hurricanes that time of year, it is the height of the season. Check out the NOAA hurricane website starting about a week before your trip.

Make sure to watch for Hurricanes that time of year, it is the height of the season. Check out the NOAA hurricane website starting about a week before your trip.
You are correct! That is a concern of ours.

If you can dodge the hurricanes, September/October is one of the best times of year to dive in the keys. The winds are typically low, the water is about as warm as it's going to get all year, and there is a lull in tourist activity that time of year.

Definitely try to dive the Spiegel and the Duane while you are there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom