Key Largo - diving, dining, nightlife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want solo, more adventurous diving, sticking to the published schedule especially after they have taken money and not bumping at the last second just because another more lucrative group of divers comes in wanting to go the Christ Statue after booking for the Elbow Deep or whatever. And then there is the time limits.

That is my opinion of Key Largo, per my original response, I will stick with it and will probably continue to go there though for the money and time, there are much better locations with much better diving and much less nanny factor.

I am quite sure it is possible that you and I have differing expectations. I will stay with what I said.

N

Now that post is informative. A reader can understand your criteria and thereby decide if your evaluation is appropriate for them. A rating/opinion with no criteria given is meaningless to anybody other than the opinion giver.

I have always enjoyed staying at and diving with Amy Slate's Amoray Dive. Not everyone has shared a positive experience, but I think they are very user friendly and very supportive of diving your own profiles, except for the deep wreck dives ( for which you will need to show appropriate credentials). Nightlife consists of a few restaurants, of varying quality. You can check out Woody's night club on Islamorada, or else head north to Homestead.
DivemasterDennis

Key Largo/Upper Keys is an eat sleep and dive town with some fishing.
Middle Keys/Marathon is an eat sleep and fish town, with some diving.
Lower Keys/Key West is the eat, shop, party, drink town with only some sleeping, diving & fishing. Lots of weird, wild, & wacky for everyone. It also has alot more touristy stuff like museums: Mel Fisher's, Hemingway House, Trumans Summer Whitehouse, forts, an aquarium, butterfly conservatory, and more.

Plan to do most of your diving in Key Largo, then take a day down to Key West, enjoy the lovely drive, sunset at Mallory Square, etc.

If I can be of help, please PM me.

Now that post is informative. A reader can understand your criteria and thereby decide if your evaluation is appropriate for them. A rating/opinion with no criteria given is meaningless to anybody other than the opinion giver.

I have been going to the Keys since the mid 70s. I have stayed an entire summer diving, or maybe just a week. I have used every single op down there unless some have opened in the last months at one time or another. I am a glutton for punishment, I am sure I will continue to go until my last breath, or maybe not.

N

Rainbow Reef and Sea Dwellers. Have dove with both shops and both very good. I think you can combine a hotel stay with diving package at the Holiday Inn near the Sea Dwellers shop. I'm going back in May. Also, don't forget to go to the History of Diving Museum near Marathon.

Hey Eric, I just re-read your post. April 2014 to Dec 2015 is a long hiatus. I recommend you get in some dives before your trip or at least take a refresher course. It is standard policy with most Keys dive ops that if you haven't dove in a year, you must hire a dive guide for your first trip. If it's been over 2 years you must take a refresher course first. Some shops have even tighter policies. It's for your safety and comfort in the water.

Hi everyone, read all your posts and thank you all very much for your suggestions. I will take them all into consideration!

I am still new at this (12 dives in), booked a trip last night to Key Largo, going 2/23 to 2/27 and plan to get as many dives in as possible (2-3 a day?) from Mon to Thur.

I was very vague in some of my comments, apologies for that. Nightlife I basically meant one night at a decent bar, with a band preferable. Another night relaxing by the beach and smoking a stoagie. Looking for good seafood restaurants, some sightseeing while I'm there.

Going alone, as no one (yet) in my family are divers (my 14 year old son is contemplating it). My wife is super cool and supportive of my diving, I only wish she could go with me to experience it.

Flying in to FLL, 1 1/2 hr drive to Holiday Inn Express...not looking forward to the long drive but scenery will make it worth it.

Have Rainbow Reef and Ocean Divers open on my IE tabs, will call them to book. Taking a refresher course the week prior to refamiliarize myself and test my equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom