Key Largo dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind the people saying it is easy with there own vehicle have not experienced how the rental car companies make it so difficult to use your own Sunpass with a rental car. After all the hassle of going to three Walgreens to buy the Sunpass Mini and calling Sunpass to activate, going through the phone menu to finally get a real person on the phone they couldn't activate the Sunpass I just bought. Turns out the rental company only did half the work they needed to do to allow my Sunpass to work. I had to call the Rental Company back to get them to totally remove the license plate # from their account. Then call Sunpass back to get it activated. PIA.

The poster who asked is renting a car in FLL.

You want to activate it initially with your own personal vehicle. From then on it shouldn’t be an issue adding a rental car to your account. I’ve done it many times with vehicles & UHauls.

ADDITION: I was pretty sure I successfully used my SunPass recently in a Uhaul without registering the plate on my account. I just confirmed that it worked just fine. So I went to the SunPass website and found this in the rental vehicle section:

SunPass Customers

SunPass customers using a rental vehicle may have their tolls applied to their SunPass account. Customers with SunPass Portable transponders may use their transponders in their rental vehicles. It is strongly recommended that SunPass customers access their online SunPass accounts or contact the SunPass Customer Service Center to add the rental vehicle license plate to their account for the rental period. If the transponder is not in your vehicle or functioning properly, tolls from other agencies will not be posted to your SunPass account, and may be charged to you by the rental Service Provider. Please remember to remove your transponder upon return of the vehicle. SunPass customers that do not have their transponders in the vehicle are subject to the tolls, fees and charges set forth below and in their rental agreements

Registering your plate on your SunPass account is recommended but not required. Your transponder will work and hit your account as long as it is functioning and properly placed.

Just one more SunPass comment:

Several years ago I had some kind of problem, mixup, or something with my SunPass account. They handled it very nicely. My phone call got me to a human right away, and he understood the issue and fixed it immediately. I was almost amazed when I hung up.

Just one more SunPass comment:

Several years ago I had some kind of problem, mixup, or something with my SunPass account. They handled it very nicely. My phone call got me to a human right away, and he understood the issue and fixed it immediately. I was almost amazed when I hung up.

It's not like that anymore. The FL sunpass system is a total kludge. If you treasure your sanity, just pay the rental car place a few extra bucks.

I quit using my sunpass many years ago after miss charges (not even my car in the toll photos) that were nearly impossible to rectify. There was a class action lawsuit over this, I believe.... I also don't need to state to have unfettered access to my credit card..

Now, on the rare occasion I need to take a toll road, I just do it and let then send me a toll violation notice. Half the time I never get a violation notice, so it works out pretty well.

Horizon Divers is a good op, but their parking setup really sucks.

I have not - but I think all is well with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom