Key Largo Dive Operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba jeff

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are experienced divers. Our 14 year old is certified and has been diving a few times. Our 10 year old is getting OW certified this summer. After he gets certified, we are heading to Key Largo for his first dive experience. What dive operator would you suggest for two inexperienced divers? I would love to hear the good reviews of the Key Largo operations.

Thanks!

Horizon Divers, Key Largo

Quiessence is a good operation. Their boats have 6 divers on them. They do quite a few of the shallow sites from 20’-40’. They also do the deep wrecks. My wife and I reserved places for a week on their boats. One morning we showed up and we were the only people who did. They still took us out, In the times I dived with them, they did not put a dive master into the water. So if you are looking for that backup, you may need to go elsewhere.

Horizon/Rainbow and we also used Pirates cove Watersports that cater to beginners....shallow reefs and wrecks...pretty good size catamaran

Another vote for Horizon and Rainbow Reef. I've personally used Horizon and have personal friends very high up at Rainbow Reef that I'd trust with my life. Either one would be a great choice.

I've been with Horizon and Rainbow Reef a few times each. Just got back from a couple days with Horizon a little over a week ago. Rainbow gives you a guide as part of the package, so you save a little bit of money. But the groups can be a little bigger, so if you want more personalized attention, you might ask if they offer it. Horizon does not give you a guide by default, but you can ask for one ($25/person I think). When I went, I had a guide and it was usually 2 or 3 divers with the guide. The Horizon boat wasn't too crowded when I was there, but I'm not sure if that is typical. Horizon seems to run one boat to a deep wreck, and one boat to the reefs, both in the morning and the afternoon (and I _think_ they have a 3rd boat they use if there is more demand). The Horizon crew was both skilled and quite friendly.

Horizon in KL and Keys Dives in Islamorada

The guides on Rainbow Reef have always seemed attentive and personable. We generally don't get a guide, but it's always avaialable. Plenty of their boats hit just shallow reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom