Key Largo daily dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry Christmas to all, and after a great Christmas dinner put the dive gear in the car and head to the Fla. Keys!! NetDoc is out today with us and having fun, it is a bit windy today, 10-15 knts out of the East and 2-3 on the inside and 2-4 max on the outer reefs but easy rollers and we are diving on Christmas. We are ready for you to come diving in the Keys, don't delay call your favorite store today.

Merry Christmas to all, and after a great Christmas dinner put the dive gear in the car and head to the Fla. Keys!! NetDoc is out today with us and having fun, it is a bit windy today, 10-15 knts out of the East and 2-3 on the inside and 2-4 max on the outer reefs but easy rollers and we are diving on Christmas. We are ready for you to come diving in the Keys, don't delay call your favorite store today.
Well what's the temperature like?

I'll be down on the reef with my family in a few days and can't wait to get out.

It was a bit sporty yesterday, but the Captain and Crew were great. They made sure that no lost their footing and that we all had a good time! Thanks for the trip, Capt Slate!

Thanks you weather Gods, it is very nice and supposed to stay that way through the weekend and beyond! Yes we have a gently wind out of the E at 9 knts. and loving it, barely 2 foot seas. So if you were doubting the weather, and some weather reports are absolutely 180 degrees wrong then I am telling you to head to the Keys, we got the weather and warm water, 78.8 degrees this am on the weather buoy! See ya underwater!

---------- Post added December 27th, 2013 at 02:41 PM ----------

OMG, the weather started out a bit bumpy, 2-3 but now is again laying down and the keys are gonna sink from all the visitors, we love it. Still got room for you and the water temp this morning was 78.8 degrees, hey not bad for Dec. 27th! What is the outside water temp where you are now? See underwater in the Fla. Keys!

Happy New Years Eve, hope all of your are parking yourselves at a fireworks show we are shooting the KL show here and hope to see ya, a bit rainy right now, wind is about 12 out of the NE supposed to be less later today, seas are only 1-3 on the reef. Yesterday was picture perfect with hardly a ripple and 82 degrees, an August day for sure...so make your New Years Resolution to dive 50 times in 2014, minimum! See ya in the keys.

Well I just got back from a few days down in KL. I'm not sure what weather you're living in, but only Monday was nice. Even Monday it built up to fours in the early afternoon. Saturday and Sunday were way rougher.
The few local captains I talked to said they go out on days like that, but only because they have customers. It's no fun for anyone when the seas are rough.

Guess I'll head back in the calmer months next year.

Well I just got back from a few days down in KL. I'm not sure what weather you're living in, but only Monday was nice. Even Monday it built up to fours in the early afternoon. Saturday and Sunday were way rougher.
The few local captains I talked to said they go out on days like that, but only because they have customers. It's no fun for anyone when the seas are rough.

Guess I'll head back in the calmer months next year.

I live down here and check the buoy reports and wind reports multiple times daily. Monday was like the only day in the past few days that have been decent seas, but it was overcast. We are looking at 10' seas over the next few days. When is this pattern going to break. Cant dive. Cant fish. Starting to lose it already. Gonna have to hit Flamingo.

We dove on New Years Eve day, and it was fine in the am. For the record, I might be up for a trip to Flamingo! :D

RickI, agree much of the 'dead' reefs are coming back in the last 10 years and Ken from Coral Reef Restoration has put thousands of new coral 'seedlings' all over the upper keys on popular reefs and it has been growing like hell, so the healthy water is still here just need a little help from man and it is getting it. Hope to see ya underwater soon...

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 05:31 PM ----------

Again, Happy New Year to all, and today started a bit bumpy, 2-3 on the inside and 2-4 on the outer reefs but laying down as we were doing our second dive, water is still 77-78 degrees and it is sunny. Hey when divers were putting on sun screen today I asked them where elsle in the US would they be doing this? The answer: NOWHERE ELSE BUT THE FLORIDA KEYS!!! See ya underwater...

Monday was ridiculously flat. Snorkeled with the family at Christ of the abyss. It was like 1ft if that at times. Saw the capt slate boat and wad super jealous. Boo non diving family.

Left the family and dove spiegel grove and benwood yesterday and Duane and molasses reef today with ocean divers. They said it was. 2-4 Thursday and I thought it was 3-5. Today they predicted it would be rougher and it seemed more 2-4 for me. All were great dives. Sure I went for distance on each trip but I do that on glass surfaces. Get in and under and it is amazing.

At molasses saw a bull shark, turtle, green moray, a pair of lobsters hanging out together, plus a ton more. The wrecks were huge. Tons of marine life on the benwood. Spotted 2 small lion fish there. Some current on Duane. Lot to explore on the super structure. Fish highways were fun to watch. Spiegel even more massive. Swim through and under ledges super cool

wind has been high but so has the temperature. So I haven't been cold and I usually get cold easily. I was hesitant to dive today based on Thursday and the prediction it would be worse. Very glad I went, I had a great time. Yes it is kinda rough going to and from, but the diving itself is awesome. Sad I have to leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom